See You Later

"See you later mom!!" the little girl screeched in the direction of her mother, making a run for the door. She halted her sprint in front of my paws. I shifted my weight and sat up, careful not to knock the tiny bundle of bright energy over. "I'm going to the park with my friend," she said proudly, her soft brown eyes meeting my icy blue ones. "You be a good dog. I'll see you when I get back." Something deep inside, I knew that wasn't true. Something was off. I knew that when she walked out that door, She wouldn't come back. Something wasn't right. These creatures are immortal. They never change. Sure the little ones grow, but once they're done they don't change anymore. And she hadn't changed, as far as I could tell. So why did it feel as though something vital had changed? What felt so final about her leaving?
She shuffled off, pulling on her bright pink coat. The one with the little white polka dots. A pressure built throughout my chest. The pressure in my chest released some in the form of a sharp whine. "It's okay. I'll be back soon, I promise." she smiled at me, almost laughing as she said this. "Come on, it's okay." I heard the mother say behind me. She disappeared out the door faster than I could register. I rushed to the window, throwing my big paws against the invisible glass. I whined again, louder and more drawn out this time. I only caught a glimpse of pink fabric. I sat back on the cold tile. She really left. A hand was placed on the back of my head, sifting gently through my thick fur. I heard a defeated exhale from behind me. "You know, don't you." There was none of the usual curiosity or happiness in her tone. Instead, there was certainty and quiet grief. But what did I know? Was there really something wrong?
She knelt beside me then, sticking her arms around my upper body and her head into my neck.  I could smell salt. That meant her eyes were leaking. That only happens when she's sad. Why would she be sad? The tiny one was coming back. She promised she'd come back. Could I be right? Was she really not coming back? She lifted her head to meet my eyes. Her chest was heaving now, as she tried to get ahold of herself. No. No, I can't be right. Tiny one has to come back. She promised she'd come back. "I'm sorry." No. No no no. This can't happen. I'm supposed to protect her. "I'm so sorry buddy. But the vet said we have to do it now. Or you'll be in pain." The vet? What? The vet is for me, not for the tiny one. "I love you so, so much. It kills me to do this." She was sobbing hard now. "But I can't let you be in pain. It wouldn't be fair."
She stood and turned swiftly, wiping at her eyes. She was walking towards the closet.
It hit me suddenly. I know how to make her happy! I launched forward, rushing for the stairs. The excitement building up in my chest traveled through my body, my tail whipping back and forth furiously. I dimly registered the mother calling for me. It would be okay. I can make her happy. I bolted down the hall and into the tiny one's room. On the bed was my duck toy. The duck toy she gave me when I was first brought here. It never failed to make the tiny one's mother smile to see me bring it to her. I snatched it up between my teeth and bolted back down the hall. I rushed down the stairs, breathing hard around the stuffed animal. The mother was standing in the living room where we were before, holding the leash. We must be going for a walk.
She made a kind of broken noise you only hear from dying creatures, turning away from me. I tilted my head confused. How could this have made her sad? This always made her happy. She turned back to me and clipped the leash on. She patted my snout lightly as I tried to shove the toy into her hand. "It's time to go boy. I'm sorry." she said quietly as she led me to the door. She opened the door and paused to look at me. The grief on her face was so clear. I turned and looked back into the house I'd lived in for so long. I knew what was happening now. I knew why she was sad when I brought the toy. And why she mentioned the vet. There was nothing wrong with the tiny one. However, there was something wrong with me. This happened with the cat. They took him away just like this, crying and grieving even though he wasn't dead. And then he never came back. There had been a sad atmosphere in the house for weeks.
I hadn't been paying attention. We were in the car. I hadn't even registered moving away from the door and into the car. We stopped in front of the vet—generally my nemesis, except when she gave me treats and belly rubs. I turned to my tiny one's mother. She looked so sad and lost. That's not okay. I gently leaned over the seat and placed my stuffed duck in her lap, pausing to look back up at her. I knew this would be the last time we saw each other. But I was relieved. It wasn't my tiny one. She would be fine. With time she will get over me, maybe even forget me. It was in these creatures' nature. They have always been near immortal. I'd never seen one meet their end. I'd heard of it happening from time to time. That's the purpose of me being their companion. To ensure it never happened the immortal ones I guarded. So it never happened to my family.
I heard the vet outside the car. She unlocked the door, and let the vet grab my leash to lead me away. She was sobbing again, holding the bird tight to her chest. "I'm sorry." she said softly. "I love you. We all love you. You are such a good dog. You will be remembered forever." She choked at the end, lifting the duck to her face. I believed her. They had forever to remember me. And they would. The vet stopped by the front door, allowing me to turn and face the car. "You'll see them later." the vet said softly. I knew she was lying as I watched the car drive away. Or maybe she wasn't. Maybe I'd see them an eternity from now, when they crumble to dust as I will. And that was okay. My tiny one was safe.  So I turned and stepped through the door.