Chapter 10

Now that he knew her cell phone number, Shane was treating Becky like an old buddy, texting her a picture of his kids from their last vacation and sending her an invite to some app-based game she had never heard of. She ignored the latter, but replied with a casually kind message about his sons. By the time he finally sent information about a restaurant for Saturday, she'd already deleted three screens' worth of texts with him just to free up some space on her phone. After suggesting a time and giving the name and address of the restaurant, Shane had added Private parking is in the back. You're covered. Park by the black and red bike.

Becky expected to find some gleaming custom Harley-Davidson in the back lot when she was let inside by a parking guard, but the only bike there was a street-racing one. It was black and red, but all sleek angles, like someone had found a way to put a throwing star on wheels. She hadn't even realized there was a door beside it until the wall seemed to push out and a woman motioned her inside. "Ms. Lynch? Mr. McMahon is waiting for you. I'll show you the way."

The woman looked like she probably knew seven languages and five martial arts, and Becky wondered if she was actually bad at anything; she exuded competence. "Thanks," Becky said feebly when the woman had walked her through a minimalist dining area that looked like it belonged in a futuristic sci-fi movie. When Shane stood to shake her hand, she noticed a television screen on the wall that showed both their bikes in the secure parking lot. "Convenient," she said, "and a bit creepy."

"I was just curious as to which style you favoured. I heard you had to leave your old bike behind when you came back to WWE," Shane explained, "so I wasn't sure if you would go for something different or stick to what you knew."

How far back had he dug into her life? Becky decided she didn't want to know. Like most people, there were things in her past she didn't care to recall, and if he was going to hold them against her, she hoped he enjoyed paying for her inevitably overpriced brunch. "You could have just asked."

To her surprise, Shane nodded. "You're right. In business, taking the initiative is usually praised. Sometimes I have to remember that doesn't always translate as well to people. I wasn't digging for dirt, I promise. Out of the Four Horsewomen, you're the one who was least written about—at least until you came back. And even then, it was the same refrain: started young, debilitating injury that forced you away, came back for a try-out on the cusp of snagging an acting role."

Becky just shrugged. She didn't have famous relatives like Sasha and Charlotte did, and she wasn't a kid-friendly favourite like Bayley. "That's pretty much it, to be honest. The rest is just fine detail. We've all got gaps; it's the bridges over the gaps that people care about."

Shane tilted his head from side to side. "I'm not entirely sure I agree. The bridges are the part we see, but that's like icebergs: what you don't see is what's likely to kill you. Some bridges go over dry creek beds, and others span canyons. To call them equal does a disservice to both, don't you think?"

"Not necessarily. Problems need to be put in perspective." For as often as she complained about Charlotte's silver-spoon connections, Becky knew Charlotte hated not being able to get five minutes into an interview without someone asking about Ric Flair. "But I'm guessing you didn't invite me here to be philosophical."

"Very true." Shane handed her what looked like a thick menu from the side of the table and only when she grabbed it did Becky realize it was a tablet. "It's linked to the kitchen so we can order directly. Pick whatever you like."

"Perks of an expense account, huh?" Becky wasn't the type to order the most expensive thing off a menu out of spite, but she didn't hold back either, selecting a few items she wouldn't have splurged on if she were footing the bill. Once she had confirmed her order, she set the tablet aside. "Does away with the I don't know how to pronounce that awkwardness, I guess."