Untitled Part 1

Life Under Lockdown

(Iram Fatima 'Ashi', from KSA, NRI)

Like another part of the world, we were reading, listening to the news from Chinese people at the end of 2019 but gradually these data and cases entered in other countries as we entered the New Year 2020, and in March the whole world is terrified by its spread and consequences. The coronavirus that emerged in the city of Wuhan, China, last year and has since caused a large scale Coronavirus epidemic. Coronavirus is continuing its spread across the world, with about 2.8 million confirmed cases in 185 countries. At least 197,500 people have died. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that can cause illnesses ranging widely in severity.

I am staying in the Eastern Province of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and I was feeling quite safe and calm until I heard that all schools are urgently closed in mid of examinations on the 9th of march midnight notice that students should stay at home until the next order. Even CBSE Board exams stopped with an order by the health ministry and now it is stressful for students and parents by thinking academic future.

And it was just beginning, till mid of march it is the mall, theatres, markets, offices, flights, buses, taxies all closed except essentials like supermarkets and pharmacies. It was a stressful situation when we heard that since 23rd march a curfew imposed and all those who violate the curfew implemented in Saudi Arabia from 7 p.m. until 6 a.m. for the next 21 days will be fined 10,000 riyals and could face jail time if they repeatedly break the law, the Kingdom's Ministry of Interior announced. Residents in all areas and cities not currently under a 24-hour lockdown and they are allowed to go out between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the Muslim holy month, However, areas under a complete lockdown will only be allowed to go out for essential needs, such as grocery shopping or medical visits, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Residents in these areas must stay within their neighborhoods. A 24-hour lockdown was previously imposed on the cities of Riyadh, Tabuk, Dammam, Dhahran, and Hofuf and throughout the governorates of Jeddah, Taif, Qatif, and Khobar.

People like me were reading and watching news globally and in India on 24 March, the Government of India ordered a nationwide lockdown for 21 days, limiting movement of the entire 1.3 billion population of India as a preventive measure. India shut its $2.9 trillion economies, closing its businesses and issuing strict stay-at-home orders to more than a billion people. Air, road, and rail transport systems were suspended. It was quick to close its international borders and enforce an immediate lockdown, which WHO praised as "tough and timely". It was ordered after a 14-hour voluntary public curfew on 22 March, followed by enforcement of a series of regulations in the country's COVID-19 affected regions.

As a viewer of Indian TV channels, it was painful to witness so many labors on road trying to return their native places by walk. Over 80% of the country's migrant and daily wage population fears it will run out of food before the end of the lockdown, on April 14. India's coronavirus outbreak and the ongoing 21-day lockdown to contain it has shone a spotlight on the hard life of its seasonal migrants. Nearly as many also worry that they will not be able to find work once the lockdown ends, then the lockdown date was increased to 2nd May in India. In India doctors and police who are front foot, worriers were attacked by the public in few places because of misunderstanding, which was disappointing to watch and high condemned. Thankfully such cases are not recorded herein Kingdom at my end.

As cases started increasing day by day, now it's like a panic situation on a global platform and more buzz on social media, online groups, and neighborhood and friends all over the counties emotionally connected with electronic gadgets and maintaining physical and social distances, no more tea party or dinner get together among friends and relatives. Now we started getting do's and don'ts according to everyone's knowledge by discussing online. As the virus and suffering were new so, there are so many trial and error type situations for everyone. All new and different studies were creating more anxiety and panic day by day. People were started creating fake reasons for spreading the virus and its remedies and rumors are on peak. So it was necessary to study reliable website of World health organization to know exactly about that.