Brothers

Dick was watching Damian from a distance. The boy was sitting on the lawn in the garden taking turns throwing a ball at Titus, the dog, and stroking the hair of little Pennyworth, the cat.

The situation everyone was in was strangely satisfying: Damian was a normal child for the first time and the Wayne mansion was just that, a mansion. They didn't talk about secret lives, crimes, investigations, let alone comment on how bad Gotham could get if they continued to neglect him, because Gotham wasn't the center of everything at that moment.

—You are not usually so distracted... — Jason commented when he was beside Richard. He kept his eyes on Ace, who, after welcoming him, went running to play with Damian too.

— I was just thinking how strange it is to be normal in this family.

— Did you really accept this memory loss thing?

— There's nothing to accept... — the eldest sighed, partly disappointed that Jason had already drunk in the morning — Amnesia accompanied by a lot of post-traumatic stress, anxiety and blows too hard on the head, or a mixture of all that.

— Whatever! — The other rolled his eyes — And will you simply accept, without even finding it suspicious that he has these crises of whatever, when there was talk about his own past, about being a Robin?

— If you had seen..

— You should have noticed that it could be something in his head, like a chip implanted by Gorilla Grodd! Or someone cloned the brat and put that version in place! Human flap, he's a strange guy! — For Jason, accepting any absurdity with a villain acting in the background was much easier than just reality: Damian's mind gave up.

— Todd...

— It's not just the Joker and Bane that make these sick shits! And let's face it, it's easy to hate Damian!

— Todd! — The eldest hit him with a light punch in the arm — Stop saying that kind of thing, he can hear!

Jason didn't strike back, just stopped talking for a few seconds and looked at the child sitting on the grass. Now the dogs were trying to compete for the ball thrown while the little cat was petted.

— You said yourself that he is not listening properly...

— So you read all the messages and decided to ignore them until it was convenient? — Dick hit him again with a punch to the arm, which was struck back by a simple push — Why didn't you come soon?

— Because he was brainwashed, I thought it best to wait for him to return to normal.

— He just lost his memories...

— No, Dick! If he had lost his memories, he would have been the same pampered and angry little brat who fights with everyone. I still haven't heard the classic "tt" and he hasn't even come here to find out who the strange guy is who invaded the mansion, something he would do even if he were jumping on one foot...

— I told you he lost his memory!

— Nobody can forget how pain in the ass he is!

— But he forgot! — Richard snapped, letting on that his patience was lacking — He forgot everything, everyone and even him, damn it!

Jason didn't respond, or rather mumbled some curses as he walked over to Damian. Dick did not follow, he preferred to hope that shouting the current situation would put a little judgment in his head.

— Damian... — he called, bending down beside the boy.

— ... Yes?

— You might even think you're going to trick me, but I'm not a sucker like Dick or B.

— I-I... — Anguished and shy, the youngest struggled to look Todd in the eye — I'm not lying, I wanted to be, but I don't remember anything. I-I... I... — He stopped talking and put his hand over his ear and squeezed. The tinnitus was constant, but the pain always came in the worst hours.

— Stop playing this game, Damian! You want everyone's attention to be a victim, but forget that everyone in this shit cares about you! Or do you think...! — Before Todd completed, he was punched in the jaw. After falling out of balance and almost sitting down, he got up and struck back. Dick dodged, which did not prevent the two from starting a fight in the middle of cursing and threats.

Damian did not notice what was literally happening next to him: the buzz on the left side was louder, on the right side he no longer heard anything. Besides, the pain was being the center of focus, it was an agonizing, acute pain, but somehow he knew that he had already felt pains much worse than that one — which did not make it lessen.

The youngest only noticed that something was happening, in fact, when he was already in his father's arms, being taken inside. He didn't quite understand what he was saying, he was probably talking to Alfred — who was right behind them. The butler made him drink something with a bitter taste, explained what it was and what it was for, however Damian only understood "sleep" and "feel better" of all the words.

.

.

.

NOTE

Incredibly, I wrote until chapter 8 of the fanfic before I knew that Dick lost his memory and also "didn't remember being a Robin". Batman said that if he forgot, maybe it would be better for him to have a normal life without the Batfamily. I don't even need to express here how much I was surprised to think something "close" to what the DC writers write, right?

Well, back to the fanfic notes: Dick and Jason don't live in the mansion. They go there whenever they need to, but officially live elsewhere (which doesn't matter at the moment). Jason is not believing the story too much because he is still "behind" about Damian's actions.

After the "Wayne brat" thinks he was betrayed by him, the two fight in the annual Teen Titans special (if I'm not mistaken). This shows that even though they both have the same "points of view", they do not fully trust each other.