chapter one.

Vee peered down into the central courtyard. Jacaranda trees were strung with electric lights, and sleek ultramodern tables and chairs were scattered around the garden space. Equally sleek and ultramodern young men and women thronged the place, glasses of wine glimmering in their hands like clear bubbles of red and white and pink. Hearing the group's sharp intake of breath at the view beside them, Vee sucked in a breath herself. Fancy.

Not the entire group. Dove was busy rearranging his unkempt curls, stumbling as he nearly tripped over a stray pebble, and Dexter glowered at him.

"Oh, I'm gonna be your...rock!" Dove said, grinning at the unenthusiastic group who stared back.

Florence, on the other hand, with her usual unimpressed demeanor, was jabbing at her phone's screen viciously the way murderers stab their targets over and over again to ensure they're dead enough.

"What're you doing, Florie?" Roman, who linked his arm with Florence, whined. He nudged Flor's ribs, edging closer to seek warmth. Dexter chuckled darkly beside Roman.

Vee and Verena looked at them skeptically, then exchanged a glance with each other. Persphone chewed on her lips anxiously, while playing with a strand of Verenda's hair.

Florence snatched her hand away from Roman's grip, frowning, and resumed scrolling through her screen in a rather harsh fashion.

"Roman's right. What are you even doing here, nerd?" Avyanna asked haughtily, narrowing her eyes at Florence.

"I didn't mean-" Roman held his hands up in a perplexed protest, his bushy brows furrowing together before being cut off by Vee:

"Only I can insult her!" She said, her chin lifted high in indignation for her friend, followed by a lucid chorus of agreements by Verena and Tobias.

Persephone twined her fingers together:

"Let's not insult anyone,"

Dexter, who was slient throughout,parted his lips to speak, no doubt making another smartass remark-

"Actually," Florence said, her eyes still trained on her phone, but her lips thinned visibly, with an edge cutting through her usually bored tone. All eyes snapped to her, surprised by her sudden outburst.

"It's an art imitating the massacre of men."

"And the girl speaks," Avyanna whispered loudly, her lips curling in a serpentine sneer. Roman glared. Tobias, meanwhile, looked amused.

Kell was the only one that remained absolutely silent in this whole exchange, dipping her head down, being the good girl she was- or the good girl people thought she was.

"We're here," Tobias announced, pausing as though waiting for a dramatic exclamation, but when none came, he strode to the man who was about to check their IDs.

"We're underage," Tobias whispered in shock.

"What a happy realization," Avyanna snarked under her breath.

Regaining his composure, Tobias straightened his tie- or rather the non existent one, his hands grazing air. Stuttering, he mustered up a falsely bright tone:

"Aye, captain!"

The man grunted in reply.

"This is not the 50s." Vee said, snickering. Verena nodded encouragingly at Tobias, shooting Vee a slightly reproachful yet sheepish look.

"So, we are definitely not underaged, right?" Tobias continued, waving awkwardly, and even Florence heaved a loud sigh.

Tobias looked at her, confused, before flashing another smile at the man.

"Just give me your IDs," the man grumbled.

Verena swore that all 50 year old men do not speak- they communicate through incoherent grunts.

Miraculously, Tobias heard what the man had said, and started flaunting his ID in the air, backing away slowly with an awkward grin masking his panic.

Even Florence barked out an amused laugh:

"Tobias, this guy has horrendous eyesight, just give it to him,"

Tobias drew his hand back dubiously, tilting his head in confirmation, and Florence nodded firmly.

Everyone watched with bated breath.

The man surveyed the IDs, Tobias squeezing out a tight lipped smile that seemed more like a constipated frown.

"Get in. Welcome to BAR 444." The man ushered the group into the bar.

Vee and Kell's eyes widened like saucers, while Verena squeezed Florence's arm in appreciation.

"How'd you know?" Dexter asked her, whistling.  Vee chortled at his expression.

Avyanna muttered show off under her breath.

"He squinted at us, frowning at first, but when his eyes finally adjusted to the light, his face relaxed in satisfaction. And the way-" Florence rambled, her cheeks aflame at the unwanted attention.

"Had his expression ever changed?" Kell asked the question everyone had been pondering on.

"Are you going to keep seducing me with scientific facts, or are we gonna move?" Roman said.

"We're gonna have fun, baby!" Vee shrieked to no one in particular, and Persephone interlaced her fingers with Vee's.

"Be careful, Vendetta," Persephone said Vee's full name softly, "It is said that people go missing here."

Florence nodded, a sign that she was partaking the conversation silently.

Vendetta scoffed:

"Loosen up, both of you! It's just a little adventure. Plus, we got the invitation cards. Judging from the appearance of the place, the owner must be extremely wealthy." She wiggled her brows, "It'd be so impolite not to go!"

Dove interrupted them by saying with a mock bow:

"Ladies first."

They were swept into the heat of the party, oblivious of the man typing on his phone:

THEY'RE HERE. AND, THAT EYESIGHT TRICK WORKED FOR PLAYER 003. THE REDHEAD.

sweetvinyls theponytoni  spacedvst moonshinenonsens miname_oc sweetdoughnuts  LittleRogueQueen TheVileBard Rhamesiam