In War and Peace

It was your average summer’s day at first glance. The sky was blue and the sun shaded by the pale clouds was a comforting sign. That was how the day looked for most, unless you had been affected by the war. James was sitting on the wall as he had done every day for the past three months. The view from that spot was amazing, as though while you sat there, you became the most important thing. James had a letter in his hand from his love, back home in England.

He was in training for war. The war to end all wars is what the poster said. He was hoping that was true. James was a young man of seventeen. He had cropped brown hair that was now almost falling out due to the sickness that plagued the camps where he lived. The country he lived in was at war with the central powers. The uniform he was wearing was a sickly shade of brown. His uncomfortable coat was full of lice, and was weighed down by all the ammunition in the pockets. He could hear an alarm bell ringing, but wasn’t sure what for. “Can you hear the alarm James?” his cousin John yelled over the blaring sound of the alarm. “We’re leaving for the trenches tonight at 5pm! We have to go to the hall, where we’ll get our stuff out, board the vans and leave.” He spoke with an impatient look on his face.

“So where exactly are we going?” James asked. He hadn’t really had any news about where they were going.

“I think we’re going straight to the front. In Ypres.

They made their way over to the hall, grabbed their stuff and boarded the already full car. James took a seat next to John and another young man. They fitted into two seats easily, with some room to spare. Their weight loss due to the malnutrition they received was so severe; they were half their old size. James decided to have a small sleep. When he woke up, the sound of the guns were louder than ever.

“We’re going to make a run for it. We have to get to safety. Remember to just find a place to hide, and shoot at whatever comes your way. That’s all we have to do. We’ll meet up at the station ahead before heading to the trenches.” The officer spoke loudly over the guns so that everyone could hear.

They started running out of the car and could hear the screams of their fellow soldiers as the shots from the enemy were landing upon their fellow troops. James ran to the shelter of a cave, in which he grabbed his entrenching tool and dug deep into the ground. He saw John come running, and swiftly made space for him to sit next to him. “Thanks mate.” John spoke. They both looked behind them to see the horror of the battlefields. James opened the letter that was written by his wife Millicent.

Dearest James,

I’m writing to you from the farm, and I can’t write for too long. I hope your keeping safe, and luck is going your way. Lily and I are making yours and John’s gifts for Christmas even though it isn’t for a while. She’s babbling on about how you’ll be back soon. She’s telling me how much you’ll love the presents we made for you.

I hope you’re safe and well,

Love Millicent

Then he found the telegram from his mother.

My dearest son James,

It grieves me so to say that Lillian passed away this morning from pneumonia.

Millicent is inconsolable. I’m going to have to call for the doctor to care for her. Your father and I are grieving the loss of your lovely daughter. She’ll be

Your Mother,

Rose

They heard the guns get louder and louder. John was muttering a prayer, and crying as he realised he’d probably never go home again.

All they saw was darkness as the guns drew near. They felt the ground move beneath them, but soon they felt no more.

Thanks for reading this! I wrote this for a piece at school. It's not accurate, I don't think, but if you comment what I can improve, I'd really appreciate it! Okay

Love Sarah