Prologue

***slight trigger warning: grief, loss

Snow Kong's POV, 14 years old, high school freshman

I woke up to the faint sound of beeping. I blinked, once, twice, and noticed that my eyelids felt extremely heavy, as if they were weighed down by lead.

I tried to move my right arm, feeling that there was something connected to it. My eyes shot open with newfound urgency as I realised where I was.

The bare white walls surrounding me and the IV line in my arm confirmed my suspicions. I was in the hospital. My head was fuzzy, and it made it hard to concentrate. Why was I here?

There was a knock on the door.

"Miss Kong Xueer, glad to see you well and awake." A very tall woman who looked like she was in her early 30s walked in wearing a doctor's coat.

"My name is Dai Yanni, and I will be your doctor today. How are you feeling?" She pulled out a chair from the corner of the room and sat down near my bed.

"Why am-

My voice cracked. Let's try this again. "Why am I here?"

She looked at me concerned, her lips pursed as if there was something she wanted to tell me but didn't know how to. Had I fainted during dance again? It would happen sometimes if I practiced too much and I remembered it happening before.

"You're very young and for this to happen for you is tragic," Doctor Dai said.

My heart dropped into my stomach. What was she talking about? What did she mean.

The doctor had a pained look on her face. "I'm guessing you don't remember anything at all?" I shook my head. Surely, I should be able to but my brain felt like a pile of mush and I realised a growing soreness in my body.

"Your car had a head on collision with another," she stated. "I'm so sorry Xueer, but you were the sole survivor."

Those words repeated again and again in my head. Sole survivor. That meant -

I slowly felt my world crashing down. Surely this was all some big lie, a nightmare of sorts. It wasn't unusual because I had had worse nightmares before.

"Kong Xueer, I know this is extremely upsetting for you to hear. My deepest condolences," The doctor continued but my mind had already drifted to other places.

I closed my eyes, squeezing tightly and tried to remember what happened. I remembered vaguely my parents driving me to a dance competition, all of us laughing loudly at a joke Dad had made. But everything after that was blank. "Why don't I remember what happened?" I couldn't help the tremors in my voice.

Doctor Dai nodded. "As I thought, you might be suffering from selective amnesia."

Everything was racing through my mind at a hundred miles per hour. Car crash. Sole survivor. Selective amnesia. My parents were... dead?

"I have child psychologist Roada Xu waiting outside. When you feel ready, can I get here to come in and talk to you about how you might be feeling?"

My mouth was dry and I felt lost but I was able to nod.

Doctor Dai placed her hand on my shoulder. "Hang in there, Xueer."

My whole body felt numb.

End of prologue

Next: Chapter 1
Synopsis
Jump forward 4 years
Snow Kong begins her last year of high school in a new school. She is living with her cousin Zhao Xiaotang and her aunt and uncle, who have just moved houses. Still upset by the loss of her parents, Snow Kong attempts to move on and focus on her schoolwork to make her late parents proud. Snow Kong is a very smart student.

Xu Jiaqi is everything Snow Kong is not. She's openly rebellious at school and is known as the token "bad girl". No one really knows much about her. She's a playgirl and is very confident with her looks.

Stay tuned!