Chapter IV - In the Library

Febuary 14, 1974

Lily squealed when the lights went out in the library. Then she realised what time it was – ten o’clock. Time flies fast while reading… The library had been locked up for the night, and she was in it. Fantastic.

She stopped to think for a minute. Lily decided to curl up in one of the armchairs in the library and sleep there. She would explain in the morning to Madame Pince, the friendly young witch who had just started working in the Hogwarts library.

Suddenly, she heard a noise behind her. “Lumos!” she whispered. The girl crept slowly towards the aisle in which she had noticed the disturbance.

“Potter!” she whisper-yelled. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“I was… studying.” He replied. “I guess we’re stuck here, huh?” James smirked.

“”We”???” Lily enquired. “look, Potter – there’s “me” and “you”, but no “we”. There never was a “we”, and there will never be one.”

James flinched. Ouch, that hurt a bit.

“Okay, okay Evans, no need to be mean – the point is, what shall we do?”

***

Next morning, Lily was woken up by a screech. For a moment, she couldn’t remember where she was. Then it all came back to her; the library, arguing with Potter, then ending up talking about nothing important, finding out more about the person she hates…hated? She didn’t know how she felt about James anymore.

But back to reality; Madame Pince was standing above her and  a sleepy boy with messy black hair, both slumped against the bookshelf with books on transfigurating animals. He grinned at Lily. “Morning, beautiful.” Then he looked at the librarian. The woman’s face was twisted into a grimace of fury.

“Potter! Evans!” she screamed. “What on earth are you two doing here!”

“We were studying, but then we realised the library had been locked for the night. We didn’t know what to do.” The red-haired girl replied, looking at the ground.

James noted the use of “we” and smiled to himself.

“Studying???” Madame Pince looked at her suspiciously. Then she glanced at James, who was grinning from ear to ear with a mischievous glint in his eye. “I’m afraid I don’t believe you, miss Evans. You shall both be reported to professor Dumbledore, and I expect to see you both in detention this Saturday at four o’clock.

She turned her back on them. Lily was furious – nothing had happened, of course. But now, she had to spend her whole Saturday afternoon stacking books or something.

James had an idea – something he thought would be extremely funny. While Madame Pince was still in earshot, he said to Lily, in an exaggerated whisper: “It was worth it!’”.

Yes, Lily definitely still hated him.  

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys!

Sorry I haven’t updated in months – I guess I have no excuse – I’m just very lazy :/

But just so you know – I can’t believe this has reached over 1000 reads! And any time I open my emails and see something like “New comment on chapter 2 of Tales of James And Lily” my face looks like someone stuffed a banana in my mouth :D

Love you all

Lara xxx