Prologue

Alice

White rabbits are known for their good luck, especially to Alice. Her fascination with the animal stemmed from early childhood. Some of the fondest memories she held dear were simple and to most people, bland. The restless child gone silent as her mother read to her. Alice in Wonderland, ironically, was her favorite; she spent years dreaming about pink cats and mystical caterpillars.

I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!

The blonde woman glanced at her watch as she waited for the cashier to scan her items. Six past eight.

"Your total is $11.48." The middle aged woman croaked out, placing the minimal groceries in a plastic bag. Alice grabbed a wrinkled ten dollar bill from her coat pocket and sighed.

"Can you please take the milk off the bill?" Alice's face burned at the growing line behind her.

"I got it, don't worry about it." The man behind her smiled, placing two dollars on in Alice's hand. She went to protest but the man just grinned, his chocolate curls falling across his forehead. The blonde sent a smile in his direction.

"I don't understand, sir." Alice sat at her small, kitchen table with a police officer and her younger sister, Raven.

"You can barely support yourself let alone a teenager," The officer, Chuck, motioned aggressively around the room. "You can't buy bread and you expect me to believe you can take care of a child?"

"Sir, I'm working all the hours I can. My ex-boyfriend just stopped providing financial support. Please, let me get back onto my feet. There's only so much I can-"

"I'm doing what's best for the child, ma'am. It's my job." Chuck opened up a notepad and started taking notes.

"Can you please tell me where she's going?"

"Ridgewood County Home for Girls, ma'am. You will both be put up for adoption." He clicked his pen and stood up, turning towards the horrified teenager sitting before him.

"If we're done here, I will be escorting you to the home, they're expecting you."

Alice sniffled and left the room with no goodbye.