Chapter 1

Raven

Stray lilac locks fell in front of Raven's face as she jolted her head up. A throbbing headache followed. She had stayed up late that night as she didn't know what was to happen later that day.

More thoughts raced through her mind as she stepped into the bath, her knees raising to her chest as she wrapped her arms around them. 'What's going to happen to Alice...? What's going to happen to me...?'

She lied back in the lukewarm water and let her entire body become submerged. Scenarios then played in her mind.

One being that she and her sister would be thrown onto the streets.

Another showed that she was placed in a home, excluded from the rest of the world.

Raven then shook her head and stepped out after cleansing herself. 'That can't happen,' she thought as she grabbed her towel off the counter, 'Alice is such a good caregiver. I'll start working to provide for us if I have to..."

The slender woman then made her way back to her bedroom. A pale hand reached out to grab the essentials before getting dressed. She draped a grey sweater over herself after pulling on a pair of black leggings. She would then pull her hair into a messy bun before placing on a pair of black boots.

The small woman soon finished and found her way to the book shelf. Since she and her sister didn't have enough money for a TV, let alone enough money to pay the electric bill every month, Raven relied on books as her source of entertainment.

A skinny hand reached for a light green book. A soft shrug was given before she made her way to their kitchen table. She was only a few pages in as her sibling walked in. "Al-" she was cut off by her sister dropping the bag of groceries in front of her face as she talked to a police officer. Raven kept quiet as she began to put the minimal amount of food away. Her ears perked up a bit as she was indirectly referenced. She then shook her head as she placed the milk in the fridge. Once she sat back down she had finally gotten a glance at the officer.

Chuck. She didn't like Chuck. It was just something about him. He seemed to have no feelings what so ever. Holding a conversation with him was like talking to a stone wall.

A soft sigh made it's way past her lips as she stood up, packed a bag of her necessities, and walked out. She followed her sister to a black Jeep. Once she climbed in and buckled up she waved off to her sister, not knowing when or if she'd ever see her again. A soft "I love you," escaped from her lips as tears welled in her eyes.