Misfortune's love letter

Photographs. There are photographs scattered on the table. Some photographs had fallen to the floor, dropped by shaky hands. There are photographs stained by wild tears that had made their way down through rosy cheeks and trembling lips.

Two cobalt blue eyes had seen each one of those photographs. Two yearning cobalt blue eyes blurred by an ocean of emptiness had searched in each one of those photographs waiting, hoping, believing they would find something, anything, that could throw some light in that blank memory.

No one would think a series of casualties throughout the years could happen. No one would think a simple hobby and an accidental encounter would place everything in the same place. Elsa's thoughts as a down to Earth girl weren't any different. But yet there she is now, on the floor, trying to comfort a broken man who is crying in her arms, both surrounded by memories that can't be returned and a reminder that you don't have to die to feel your life slip between your fingers.

She tightens the embrace and starts drawing circles on his back. Closing her eyes, she focuses on his ragged breath and violent sobs, on his shaky shoulders. She focuses on her heartbeat; low, yet powerful enough to be heard, accompanies his lament in a decaying duet.

————

The feeling of the cold steering wheel wasn't soothing or relieving. Not at all. Elsa left a tired sigh that fogged up the car window even more, adjusted the volume of the radio, and reclined in her seat for the fourth (or maybe fifth?) time. Her concern was growing and showing as a frown and a breathless weight on her chest.

Her eyes wandered to the passenger seat and finally landed on her phone. Without thinking, she grabbed it and looked at the unread message she had sent her sister twenty minutes ago. And the one she had sent her fifteen minutes ago. And another about ten minutes ago. And then a message every minute. Now she wasn't only frowning her eyebrows, but her lips too. Where was she?

Anna had made it clear that she didn't want Elsa to go after her; she wanted to be more independent, do things on her own. Of course, Elsa was happy with her sister's decision. Well, at least until ten minutes and over twelve messages ago.

She was considering stepping out of the car when she saw Anna walking with an young man, both under Anna's umbrella; he was helping himself with a crutch, so their pace was slow. Elsa reclined in her seat again and smiled at her sister, the persistent weight on her chest now gone. She turned the engine on and tuned the radio.

When they were closer Elsa recognised him. He was the man who asked her for directions to Arendelle University a few days ago; that day she found him familiar and now she felt that same impression. There was something strange about him, but what?

She watched as her sister gave him her umbrella. He declined. And, of course, Anna insisted as the stubborn girl she is.

Anna got in the car and fastened her seatbelt. Elsa, already aware of what was to come, took a deep breath and smiled when her sister grabbed her phone and pressed the record button.

—Ok, Elsa. I'm sure you saw the guy who I was with, right?

—Yes, I did.

—Well, I saw him when I finished my classes. He was soaking wet and, obviously, I couldn't leave him there as he didn't have an umbrella, so I offered to walk with him.

—That's so sweet from you, sis. Though I would appreciate it if you answered my messages. I was concerned about you, Anna.

—So, I asked him what happened to him because of that crutch he uses. Well, he told me he had an accident and... wait, messages? —She looked at her sister with a frown. Then, realisation hit her—. Oh... Oh! I'm so sorry, I forgot! I... I was so immersed when I was with him that I didn't remember that I had to call you. I really want to be more independent but then this happens. I... I will be more cautious next time, I promise, I won't forget.