Volume One Prologue: We Are Alone

In 1969 the human race, found on Earth, sent a man to the moon.

In 2029 they landed on Mars.

In 2036 they built great geoengineering projects to slow the effects of climate change, allowing the economy and, therefore, scientific research to grow without further worry.

In 2040 the Integrated Space Agency, or ISA, was created by the space agencies of countries within the United Nations.

The human race advanced and reached into the stars, developing the first hyperspeed engine. Earth's best scientists set about understanding atmospheric science, botany, and soils. They put together terraforming engines, known as 'Edens.'

By the end of the 26th century, most of the Milky Way had been explored and many planets in nearby systems had been terraformed for humans. Despite hopes, no alien life had been found.

In 2949, the human race developed its first faster-than-light-speed engine.

By 3462, the human race had travelled to the edge of the Virgo Supercluster.

They did not stop there.

The human race carried on expanding, landing on planets, using up their resources–water, fuel and air–to power their ships; to power their Edens; to run experiments.

In 3999 the ISA made an announcement. Despite the expansion, despite searches, despite attempts to make contact, no intelligent life had been found anywhere within the Virgo Supercluster.

The human race must face the very real possibility that they–the human race–are alone in the universe.