Chapter 2

We were sitting in Stiles jeep. We finally got out of that place. What doesn't make sense is why did the Calaveras just let us go? Scott walked up to the jeep and got in the passenger side.

"So what now?" Stiles asked him.

"She thinks she knows where we can find Derek." Scott said.

"She gonna tell us where?" Malia asked.

"Uh, actually, she's giving us a guide."

We all looked at the blinding headlights that were shining through the front window. It was the middle of the day, why are their headlights on?! They shut their bike off and a female stepped off of it.

"You know her?" I asked.

"Braedon." Scott said.

"Who's Braedon?" Malia asked.

"She's a mercenary." Lydia answered.

Braedon walked up to the driver side window. Now I recognize her. "Right now, I'm the only one who's gonna take you to La Iglesia."

"The Church?" Lydia asked.

"What's the Church?" Stiles asked.

"It's not a place you'll find God." Braedon smirked. She walked back over to her bike and started it up. We followed her out of town and down a dirt road. We were in the middle of nowhere.

"Okay." Malia spoke up. "I'll ask. Who's Kate Argent?"

"Uh, I'd like to know, too." Kira raised her hand.

"Well, we were at her funeral." Stiles said.

"So, I'd like to know how she got out of a casket that was buried six feet underground." I grumbled. Lydia put her chin on my shoulder, since I was basically sitting on her lap.

"She was never in it." Scott shook his head.

"She was Allison's aunt. And a total sociopath." Lydia explained.

Everyone noticed the change in Scott's demeanor when Allison's name was mentioned.

"You don't have to talk about it now if you don't want to." Kira said as she put a hand on Scott's shoulder.

"Uh, yes, he does." Malia said, I rolled my eyes again.

"Yeah, she's right. You guys should know. You need to know." Scott sighed.

"Alright." Stiles started off. "Kate was the one who set the fire that killed most of Derek's family."

"Some on them survived, like Cora, and Peter."

"A very angry Peter." I added.

"Yeah, he's the one who bit and turned me." Scott said.

"And the one who finally caught up to Kate and killed her." Lydia said.

"And we saw her buried." Stiles swallowed.

"No. We saw a casket, remember? She wasn't in it. The Calaveras heard that Kate had been killed by an Alpha's claws. They wanted to make sure she was really dead. Her body was healing. More and more, as she got closer to the full moon. She was coming back. So they switched out the bodies. If a hunter is bit, they have to take their own life before then change. The Calaveras, they treat the code like law. They make it their responsibility to enforce it." Scott explained. "She ended up not doing it."

"Good for her. I wouldn't do it either." Malia nodded.

"Would you kill half a dozen people to get out? Because that's what she did."