Chapter 1

I walk into the dorm room and see one bed has already been taken. Someone is eager to move in. I hear an angelic voice from the shower.

"I fall short every time, the damn bar is so high. Constantly comparing, why do I even try? I can't compete this time. Always second guessing, tried so hard to fit in. Make up types of feelings, worried if I'm good enough, am I really good enough?" the voice's owner sings. The shower shuts off. I hear the sounds of someone getting dressed, and then the door opens.

"Oh, hey! I'm Isabel. You must be my roommate..." she pauses, not knowing how to address me.

"I'm y/n. Nice to meet you! I see you already picked a bed."

"I'm sorry! I got here kind of early. My brother was eager to help me unpack because he already goes here. Where's your family?"

I sigh. "I'm an orphan. I don't have one. I worked so hard to get here with no support."

Isabel looks at me sympathetically. "I have 5 siblings. We're all pretty close. We're in a family band called SM6."

"Is the song you were singing in the shower an original?" I ask curiously. Isabel nods.

"Yeah! It's called Perfect. You should check it out on Apple Music or Spotify."

I feel so intimidated. They must be so famous. I can't believe I've never heard of them. "So what do you do in the band?"

"I play bass, and I sing. My brother George also goes to this university, and he plays the piano. He's so good." Isabel replies and moves to sit on the bed.

"What grade is George in?" I wonder aloud.

"George is a junior," my roommate responds. "He knows everyone at this school. He's so popular."

George sounds amazing. I hope I get to meet him soon.

As if she'd read my thoughts, Isabel suddenly says, "You know, George can get us into parties and introduce us to people! I'll have to introduce you to him soon and he can get us into a frat party."

"Wow, that sounds great!" For some reason, I was so excited to meet Isabel's brother. Why was that?

Isabel interrupted my thoughts. "I have to warn you, though. Every time I introduce one of my friends to him, they start flirting with him! It makes me feel so upset."

"I promise I would never, ever do that to you Isabel. We're going to be best friends." I swore. Isabel smiled.

~~~~~

I was running on my way to my last class of the day but the tempting smell of coffee strayed me from my path. Stopping to grab an iced caramel macchiato, I bumped into the hottest guy ever on my way through the door.

"Woah there, beautiful," I gazed into his chocolate brown orbs as he spoke to me. He held my shoulders to steady me. "Wouldn't want to mess up your fancy hairdo."

It was only a messy bun that took me a few seconds to put up, but it made me want to never wear my hair any other way. I blushed a deep red.

"Thanks," I mumbled and looked up at him. I was in awe of this Adonis. He smirked at me and winked, then walked off. I didn't even get his name, let alone his number. I was so disappointed, but he wouldn't like an orphan girl like me anyway with messy hair and boring hobbies like art.

I scurried off to class, thinking about the coffee-shop encounter all the way.

~~~~~

I had finally made it to the end of my first week of college. Isabel was so excited because her brother would be getting us into a frat party tonight. He was going to meet us at the dorm room and walk with us there. My stomach was in knots, and I couldn't understand why.

We were listening to music while I put my wavy locks into a messy bun, just like the one coffee shop boy had complimented. "What song is this?" I asked, trying to distract myself from thoughts of him.

"It's Home. It's another SM6 original. We wanted it to be something fun, something for the summertime, something for the girls to get ready and party to."

I nodded, understanding the vibe immediately. The coffee shop boy infiltrates my thoughts again, and I decide to tell Isabel about him.

"By the way-" I am cut off by a knock at the door.

"That's George!" Isabel says excitedly. She swings the door open to reveal... coffee shop boy.