Chapter 21

Staceys PoV
We got up really early this morning because we had the football game. Kev was pacing round the bedroom and I just put my arms round his waist and he looked at me. "Baby. I promise you'll be just fine." He smiled and kissed the top of my head. "I know just gonna be weird you know." I nodded and he smiled. "You're amazing you are princess. Come on then. Let's go." We got in his parents car and they drove us to the stadium. He was running his hands through his hair but I just took him into a changing room locked the door and grabbed his hands. "Kevin. Listen. You're 16 years old. You were one of the best football players in the country and you've got a paying job. You're sided with some of the best boys in the town and coach Myers will help out through it. It's Sam for gods sake. He's a walking piece of shit. You've got this baby. I promise." I put a kiss on his lips and he smiled. "I know. If not for me then for you and the boys." I smiled and kissed him again before we both left to go and do what we needed to do.
Kevins PoV
It was a penalty in the last minute for them. This could win or tie the match. Come on gorka. Come on gorka. "Come on gorks. Think about posture. Catch it don't hit it." I was crouched on the floor crossing my fingers. Sam stepped up to take the shot and the boys all held their breath. The ref blew his whistle and Sam shot. But gorka saved it. Me and coach looked at each other and I just smiled. He brought me into a hug and patted my back. "You did it boy." The boys all looked at me and I smiled and clapped along with everyone else. They carried on playing for another thirty seconds before the full time whistle went and then the all ran over and I congratulated them all. Shaking gorks hand. They threw me up in the air and I smiled and they went and got their medals but then something else happened. The coach got a microphone and stood up on the platform in the middle of the pitch. The boys looked at me and I shrugged. I went to leave but I heard my name. "This man here. Kevin Clifton is 16 years old. Old enough to be my grandson. Old enough to play in this team in fact he was a part of it. A damn good payer as well before a shattered leg prevented him from playing football ever again." There were a few gasps in the audience. "It isn't me that needs congratulating for these guys' win. It's this man. Kev come here." I walked up to coach and he held his hand out. "Your strategy game plan and sheer bloody brilliance is the reason these guys won and I'm pretty sure they can all agree." They nodded and I looked at them. "I have a job as teacher and I know that by doing this. This club will be in good hands for the next few years. So Kev. On behalf of the boys here myself and the chairman of the club. I will be giving up my position as manager and club trainer. Kev. The promotions yours if you want it." "Coach no." "Kev. You have a life ahead of you. You said yourself football is your life. Your gonna have kids soon a family to provide for. Most probably a wife and the club can do that for you. You up for the challenge?" I looked over to my right and Stacey was there as well as my mum dad and sister and they were nodding. The crowd started going for it. Telling me to take it. The boys were as well. I nodded. "I'll do it." They all cheered and I shook coaches hand and the boys just hugged me. Alijaz and Caspar got me on their shoulders and I smiled. They got handed the trophy and then we went to a club for a night out. All our parents and the cheer team came along and I found Stace straight away. I gave her a hug and she just looked up at me. "I love you." "Love you too baby." I looked at her and we both leant in and our lips attached in the middle. "Baby you don't need to tell me you love me. I can tell." I smiled and leant in again. I felt a hand in my shoulder and turned round and it was coach. "You wanting somewhere else kids there's a room round the corner. No on ever goes in." I smiled at him and shook his hand and me and stacey went to where he had pointed and there was a sofa and we just sat cuddled up. I had had a few drinks and so had stacey. We weren't pissed but we were still tipsy. "I'm proud of you Kev." "Couldn't have done it without you. Come on. I'm gonna buy you some gummy bears." She smiled and we walked out and coach smirked at us and I smiled before we went to the bar and got Stace a pack of gummy bears and I just got a coke. We sat down next to the dance floor and watched joe and Caspar prance around. We laughed and I put my arm round her and put my head on her shoulder. She smiled and kissed the side of my head. My mum and dad were talking to coach but I just ignored them and carried on watching the lads try and dance. I don't really like dancing to be honest. It's not my thing. Give me a football and I'm happy as Larry but a dance floor and I'm gone. Like someone had read my mind a football appeared on the floor. I looked at stacey and stook my bottom lip out. The other lads were kicking it about and she smiled. "If you promise to be careful." I nodded and smiled. "Fine. But be careful. You only got rid of the lot yesterday." I kissed her and ran off to have a kick about with the boys.
Staceys PoV
Alex came and sat next to me. "Sometimes I wonder whether that boy loves football more than you." "It's a close second Stace." Kevin shouted and we all laughed. Alex just smiled. "How are you and Kev then." "Good." "It getting serious?" "How do you mean?" "Like. I don't know really. You two seem like the power couple of the group." "I mean. We've been best mates since we were two years old. I mean it wasn't until we turned ten that we stopped sleeping in the same bed at sleepovers and stuff. We have shared everything for so long so I don't know." "You even went on holiday together." "Yeah. Those were fun times. Kev got very burnt." "Why does it not surprise me." Kevin and neil came and sat with us. "Kevs hit his ankle." I looked at him and he just smiled sheepishly. "Oops?"