Black Lives Matter. Period.

On May 25th the world got a big shock when 46 year old African-American George Floyd, was murdered by a policeman. He was accused of using a counterfeit 20$ bill. (The bill was later proved to be real.)

When I read about this I felt like someone splashed a bucket of icy cold water on me. I thought that people were more broad-minded now. I thought they overcame such prejudices. I thought that no matter your color you were treated equally now. Especially in a big and developed country like America. And even more so by a police officer.

You know what bugs me? It's the fact that it was a police officer who committed the crime. What is the duty of a police officer again?

Google says:

Police officers perform various duties, including keeping residents safe, maintaining detailed records, and testifying in court against criminal suspects. Common law enforcement duties also include patrolling assigned areas, conducting traffic stops, observing a suspect's activity, making arrests, and preparing cases.

I went ahead and highlighted a part of the definition. That yellow highlighted part is what bugs me.

He's a police officer. He's supposed to keep the people safe. Not just from buglers or pickpockets, but from social discrimination too.

The police are the ones we trust with our lives and our safety. We trust that we are in safe and capable hands. And then there is someone who murders you just because you have a previous criminal record and are black.

It's wrong. It feels like you've been betrayed by the one person you thought would never betray you.

***

My friends and I were venting out our feelings by fuming about how this was so wrong and unjust. One of them texted, 'are they in jail yet? Because they should be in jail.'

That of course brought on a load of messages on what should be done to them. I'll spare you the details.

But it got me thinking. If the police officer- Chauvin was just given a jail sentence and locked up for a couple of years, or even maybe a lifetime, it wouldn't change his attitude, would it? He'd still be the same African-American hater and he'd be miserable his whole life. That's not what we want right?

People are fighting for justice. They're fighting for equal rights. This equality and justice is established by changing one's attitude.

But, now because of this incident people are angry. They're restless and they want to see some action taken against the accused. Their vision of equality and peace is forgotten. All they want is to see those men atone for their crimes.

That's not how you bring about peace and equality.

Instead, if they (the accused) were made to, say, work along with other black prisoners, or to help in organizations working for black rights, it might just change their views and make them see that everyone is the same.

And that might not be big, but I still see it as one step for a better and happier world.