CHAP 4

According to legend, some famous hamsters hadn’t known which type they were either, until they found Narnia.  The facts weren’t clear, but I was sure Narnia would solve all my problems.  It was hamster paradise, after all.

After we sang happy birthday to Aunt Stephanie (a Syrian), I decided to tell everybody my quest to Narnia.  When I tried standing up, though, my legs shook.  I gritted my teeth and forced my limbs to move.  “Erm, Happy birthday, Aunt Stephanie!  I would like to make an announcement...”

Twelve hamsters’ eyes were on me.  Now I had their attention.  “I am, um, excited to say, um...”

“The poor thing’s scared,” Robert sang.  I locked eyes with him and made a slashing movement with my paws to my throat.  He gulped.

I continued.  “As I was saying, I am excited to announce that I am following in Wanda and Chloe’s footsteps.  I will be going on a quest to Narnia.”

“Isn’t that, like, impossible?” someone in the crowd whispered loudly.  Immediately, another shushed him.

I flushed, embarrassed.  Then I went back to my territory to collect my thoughts and pack.

Scraps of tomato, lettuce, carrots, some hay to sleep on, a sword that humans liked to call a “needle”,  and a few others.  I put them all in a secure bag I made with some cloth.

“You done packing yet?” Willy’s voice rang out.  

I nodded.  “I’ll miss you, I guess,” I mumbled.

“Me too.” Willy took out a hamster-made map.  “I never showed you this,” he confessed, “but I think Sister Wanda’s map will lead you in the right direction.” He shoved it into my paws.

My eyes started to water.  “Thanks, Willy,” I sobbed.  Then I hugged him. “I might not come back.” I finished the last part in a whisper.

“That’s okay!” Willy brightened.  “I could come with you.”

I sighed.  “You know what your mother would say.  And I agree: it’s just much too dangerous!”

Reluctantly, Willy agreed and we both went out of our territory.  “You have to make it, Heather,” he said with wide eyes.  “Or at least come back with stories,” he added.

I embraced him again.  “I will,” I promised, “and soon you’ll be old enough for this too.  Farewell.” I saluted the old hamsters’ way: holding up a paw, then reaching it out one way, palm facing the heavens.  Willy saluted back.  I ran until my home was out of sight.