She Touched Him

He gazed at the air hostess, but he could not make out what she said until she stretched a meal box to him. He apologetically looked at her as he collected and stuffed it away somewhere in the backpack he carried as hand luggage.

The last 11 hours have been eventful for him, from when he received that phone call at around 10 PM when his brother broke the news of his mother's passing. Jerry cried all night as he searched for a flight from Lagos to Kaduna for the next morning.

Jerry must have called many of the airlines in desperation, but a direct flight to Abuja for 9:15 AM, been the best he achieved. Jerry still had an hour and a half road trip to go before he gets to his parents.

"Welcome to Abuja," he heard from the plane speakers' lengthy announcement as it taxied to the arrival. His mother's thoughts crowded his mind as he recollected their last conversation barely 48 hours before the call from his younger brother came through announcing her passing. They had plans of setting up another poultry.

As far as he recalled, the animal husbandry has been a household business. Still, in reality, most of the produce ended up being consumed by the family against being sold for income despite the rigorous work that goes into managing such a venture. It does not appear as a surprise because he had three brothers and relations who lived with them now and then.

He settled in the chartered cab from the airport on his way for the 2-hour trip to Kaduna. After negotiating the fare, he wondered why the driver tried to engage him in small talks. He sensed a void in his heart because of his recent loss. As the first son, he imagined how his brothers took the news if he was this saddened.

He remembered how his Dad did not put himself together when he called him to find out what happened. He could not imagine how the man would cope with the loss of his wife and partner. They both retired from the Federal Civil Service a few years back but still lived in the government official apartment.

"Sir! is this the place?" The cabman asked as he pulled into the drive of the block of flats. He interrupted Jerry's thought.

"Yes, it is." He responded and passed some Naira notes to him.

While outside, he took a glance at the large piece of land surrounding the quarters. It had overgrown grasses all over. The paint on the building looked faded and peeled off, exposing the cracked walls. The staring of the people overshadowed his sense of loss. They sat and stood all over in groups and in sober moods. Mourners, neighbors, former colleagues, friends, and relations all came to support the family in a difficult time.

They glanced at him in pity with sorrow written over their faces. A lot of them did not remember anymore. Jerry bowed, showing respect for each set as he walked toward the staircase to climb up to their flat. He perceived he would be the new topic of discussion for the groups. 

He knew his mother was popular in their church and her former office because of her hospitable and loving nature. Many adored her. He never imagined that many people would be out here from the layman to the church's top officials. The news traveled fast.

As he approached the flat entrance, he observed it was ajar with a million shoes outside. He remembered his Dad never liked the door opened, even for seconds. He added that to the recent developments he had seen since entering the compound.