beginning

I have been waiting for this day forever. I can't believe I am finally going to live my dream of living with total independence and freedom. I completed my high school last year and took a year break to decide what I wanted to do with my life. Though in the back of my mind I knew I would love to study art, the practical part of my mind wanted to go for engineering. It wasn't a easy decision so I took the year break, met people from both fields, discussed with my family members and finally realised my love for maths and the zeal for earning money is far too high then following my passion for art. I applied to the few collages of my choices and got admitted to a school not too far but not close to my home. And finally today I was going to start a journey as an independent, super excited 18 year old, who can't get over the fact of living in a dorm and having to live the life in her own way.
As I was engrossed in my thoughts, my mum called me, Jasmine, did you pack everything from the list. And then she started reciting almost everything from the list, starting from the lamo and alarm clock, to sheet and pillows, and my toiletries and stationary and what not. The list goes on as I keep looking on my beautiful mother's face. She is in her early 40s but when we are walking together no one can guess if she is my mother or elder sister. Blonde long hair, blue eyes and perfect jaw and that smile, who can take your breath away but also gives you a sense of comfort. How many times I have wished looking into the mirror to have her genes. I mean I do have her genes and she is my biological mother but I donot look like her at all. All of a sudden my dad comes calling my mom, Heather, we crossed checked everything from the list and everything is packed, nothing is missing darling. My mom gives a light peck of my dad's cheek and with her beautiful smile goes back to kichen to cook. I think if it's in her control she would pack me entire months food. My dad, Rakesh, comes to me asks me sit and says, honey I remember you waving to me as you got on the bus and headed off to school for the first time. Today it feels a little strange for me to be the one waving, but I know you are ready for this new challenge. You are a strong, intelligent, and independent person. I am proud of you now and always. I hug my dad and feel a sense of relief. In all the excitement of starting of this new chapter of my life I never thought I will be leaving my parents. I guess it's also because my college is only 2 hrs drive away but all of a sudden I feel something missing. But it soon goes away as my lil brother, Kush comes running to me and hugs me. He is so happy because he is gonna get my room after I leave. He has made so many plans to redecorate since I got the admission letter and finally happy that I am going to leave. He is a few years younger than me but tries to act like my big brother, replica of my mom in male version. Sometimes I envy him just not for his looks but for also his easy going nature and sense of humor. I am a little introvert and doesn't laugh that much, but when mum, Kush and I are sitting together gosh they talk and laugh like maniac and I feel a little left out not because I don't have anything to say, but because I don't have those intresting or fun view on everything like these two have. May be it's in the genes too, I shrug and let it go. I like how I am, brown skinned like my father, and dark hair, introvert, speaks only when required, happy in my own company, prefers books than people and loves to stay do things in my confort zone. Sometimes even I am surprised how I am super excited about college as everything is out of my confort zone. The idea of independence where all my decision are to be taken by me and to make new friends some of them are going to be my lifelong friends, and may be fall in love. Love, I really do not know much about it right now, only thing I know about love is nothing, but the idea of love really fascinates me. I often wonder how someone knows if they have fallen in love. I have asked a few times to my mum, and she always say, if you are willing to spend your life with someone you will know it's love. I still have my doubts but I let it go.
I start to look at everything in room one by one, trying a take pictures in my memory, of last 18 years of my life I have spent here. Suddenly I feel a head rush, I sit on my med and close my eyes. I am not going to over think like I always do. My dad calls me from downstairs, asking me if I am ready and we are gonna leave in a few minutes. I say, yes dad, I am ready.