Smoking 101

“It’s all over TV Melanie, Knight’s on the run and you’re six months pregnant, what are you gonna do?” Christin said to me, I never imagined things would turn out like this….

Six months earlier…..

“Just hit the blunt Melanie, damn!” My friend Dana said to me. I stared at the tip of the foreign, burning substance as I contemplated taking a hit. What would Mama think? I had always said I would never smoke. Since I had come to college, I had gotten drunk quite a few times, but I resisted weed at all costs. Maybe I was considering it this time because Knight’s fine ass was sitting across the table, eyes red and glassy, waiting to see what I would do.

                Me, and my girls Dana and Christin were sitting in a medium sized apartment with three upperclassmen boys. There was Maurice, who was tall and skinny, caramel skinned with tattoos, he owned the place and he was the one who invited Dana over. Then, there was Kenny who was about 5’10 with 360 waves. He was fine, with a deep, breath taking voice and dimples. He was medium build with a swag about himself. But none of them compared to Knight, who I had just met that day. We had all hung as a group in the past, but this was their first time introducing us to their friend, he was chocolate with beautiful dreadlocks and a perfect white smile. His face was handsome and he had a way with words for sure. He wasn’t the tallest guy, he stood at about 5’8, but that was his only flaw. He was flashy, dressed in all black, with gold accented chains and a watch to match. I wanted him, I could not even front.

“Okay, I’ma do it!” I smiled. Dana’s hazel eyes lit up as she watched me. She was the babydoll of our squad literally. She had a perfect white smile with toffee colored skin. She was slim-thick with a sassy attitude and a chic style. The nose ring she had brought a slight edge to her. Practically every where we went guys wanted her. Hell, I thought Knight would definitely try to get at her before we left.

 Everyone stared at me as I brought the blunt to my lips and took a pull, I did it fast, in and out.

“Naw, shawty you gotta fully inhale that shit, so you can feel it, try again!” Maurice urged me. I rolled my eyes in a joking manner and tried it again, this time I tried inhaling deeper, I exhaled slightly, than quickly filled my lungs deeply with Mary Jane. I felt My brain get lighter, and my eyes got moist as I exhaled partially through my nose and my mouth. It burned a little, so I coughed lightly, but it was good for my first try.

“There you go bitch!” Christin smiled. She was your all-American, liberal Cali girl. She was brown skinned with a beautiful smile, and an amazing body. Her style was very unique and she wore a long dark weave.

“You done came over to the dark side, lil Mel.” Kenny shook his head as he took the blunt and hit it.

“Nigga shut up!” practically everyone said at once.

But something inside me agreed with him. I got up from the table to go look in the mirror. I walked in the bathroom and stared at my reflection. My round face looked pretty, I had beat it to the tenth power earlier that day with Mac products. I’m darkskin with a Chinese bang and long straight bundles. My figure is full, and curvy. Yes, curvy. I’m the exceptional plus size girl. You know, the kind when guys say, I don’t usually go for big women but you… blah blah blah. I’m not sure if it’s how I carry myself but honestly my weight has never held me back from anything. Though it does come with many insecurities.

As I stared in the mirror I wondered if I was changing for the worst. I mean, I had grown more confident, I was going out more, and I felt like I was living my life how I wanted to live it. But then, I thought of my mother who would have gone crazy by now if she knew half of the things I had been doing since I got to Madison University. When she dropped me off I was a scared, unsure, insecure girl. But now here I stood a high, beautiful, sure-of-herself woman, or so I thought.