Chapter 01

''Mom!'' I shouted at my mother upon hearing her confession because I could not believe what I was hearing. '' You did what?'' I asked her again to make sure and hoping that I heard her wrong the first time.

''I did not have a choice Res, Arlo was sick and we didn't had money to pay the bills. So borrowing was my only choice'' my mom said with an empty stare.

My mom made an excuse out of my little brother for borrowing money from the Alder family. Since the day dad passed away we did everything we could to get some food on our plate. Which eventually end up I having multiple part-time jobs spending my time on earning money to more than I should spend on my studies. Because of Arlo my mom could not work as much as I did but she works as a caretaker in the North part of the town where the most rich and acquit people live.

Just like the name Alder family is one of the oldest and richest families in my town who lives in the north part of the town in Alder manor and they were the first to put the permanent roots in the land now called as Alderwoods. People in my town do not talk about them because talking about them never brought any good consequences to anybody. Hence no one accurately knows what they do for living just like other rich people they had the 'family business' But I always thought that the so called family business must always had something to do with innocent lives getting killed. But there's nothing anyone could do about it .because in Alderwood there was no law, Alder family was the law.

''but that doesn't give you an excuse to borrow from them, out of the everyone in the town you had to go and asked for help from the most cruelest people?' I argued.

Alder family was also notoriously famous for helping the people with needs showing off their good deeds to the world but the way I see they just trap people in their debt traps, when people couldn't pay them what they owe they either kill the borrower or make them a slave for the rest of their life

''I know Res, I Know'' my mom said with a guilty face.

'' then you should not have done that. You could have asked from me, if you needed more money I could helped you mom...'' I told her while fighting with my inner self to hold back the tears.

We were not in a situation to pay them back, which means they will come for us. I was frightened and could not think straight, mom and Arlo was all I had in this world.

I couldn't sleep a wink the night thinking about when would they come? Will they and kill mom or take her away? Whether we should run away from Alderwood?

Sunlight crepes through my cracked window to my plain room telling me that dawn has come. But I wished it had never come.

I sank into my sheets deep trying to clear up my thoughts which was pointless and I ended up shifting in the bed, I cracked open the window. And see unfamiliar scenery in front of our house. Black cars, men wearing black with armed.

And all of these had a one thing in common the 'A' symbol in the bonnet of the black cars and on the left shoulders on the men which were pinned to their dark black suit. This was the symbol of Alder manor. My eyes wide open and did not take me much time to realise.

''mom ?'' I shouted, running through the house. ''mom!''

Everything was pitched silent. My heart sank. I was right, after all Alder family was known to be very strict and rigorous in their business.

Author Note

Hi guys. so this is my first fiction i'm writing after spending more than three years combine both in aff and wattpad I've mustered up my courage in writing a fiction.

and if you come by any grammar mistake or any confusing part please feel free to let me know i would be glad to correct them.

xoxonawie