Chapter 20

(Chad's POV)

"Waddidyougit? " Krist said excitedly. "A guitar" Kurt replied, which didn't help at all.
"what kind?" Krist asked, not giving up.
"a fender mustang." Kurt said.
"cool." Krist said, trying not to look over excited.
"you want to see it?" Kurt said, seeing that Krist was trying really hard not to ask questions.
He opened up the case and I heard Krist say "that has to be the ugliest guitar I have ever seen." My curiosity getting the better of me, I walked over and saw a instrument that looked kind of like a Stratocaster, but was tilting to one side and had a dark red scratch plate that clashed horribly with the light teal-blue body. I could see why Kurt loved it.
"I love it." I said and I saw Kurt crack a smile. We went to bed, and Krist left to go across the hall. our apartment only had one bedroom, so we hung a sheet across the room. It made it easy to talk and I often fell asleep to the sound of Kurt's acoustic slowly strumming a Beatles song. Tonight however, Kurt would not, could not go to bed before testing his new guitar.
He plugged it in to a small practice amp, turned the volume very low and started playing 'Animal Boy' by The Ramones. We heard nothing. We turned it up a bit louder and still heard nothing. The only sound was the pick hitting the dead strings. "that's why it was only forty bucks." He said angrily, taking the screws out of the scratch plate to look on the inside of the instrument. "what the heck?" He said, along with some other choice words for the broken guitar. "what's wrong with it?" I asked as I walked over and turned off the small amp. "see that?" He asked, holding up a small black bar that I recognised as a pickup, the part that picks up the guitar's sound to send to the amplifier. I looked and saw nothing that looked out of order. "I don't see it" I said. "look closer." He replied, and when I did, I saw that the inside, along with all the wires had turned a grey-green colour that I remember seeing on my moms car. It was corroded.
"it can be replaced right?" I asked, worried. "yeah." He said and I gave a sigh of relief. "the only problem is I have no idea where to get another one. I've never even seen this guitar until today."
"we'll figure it out eventually." I said, attempting to be comforting. "just go to sleep." And within the hour we were.