His Side of the Story

I.

I am so used to everything in my surroundings. The parties, the people, everything!

Gustong – gusto ng Dad ko ang mga ganitong pagtitipon. Actually, sila ng Mom ko. And now, pati ako dinadamay nila sa mga ganito. Ang dahilan nila? For me to find my wife!

Huh!

As if I would actually like someone that likes going to this kind of craps.

If I could find someone to be with me forever, I would find someone who can be herself and would love some peace and contentment on her life. Not like this!

Like this, that is smiling even though they do not like someone. Like looking happy even though they’re not. They are all just a great big pretender!

“Son, this is Lucille Severino. The daughter of Mr. Leonard Severino and Mrs. Jessica Severino. She’s lovely, right?” my father told me.

I smiled out of respect. She really is lovely, but she’s not who I was looking for.

I don’t know exactly who I am looking for, but I guess I’ll know when I already found her.

Actually, I think I already found her, but I’m not sure, really?

“Dad, I’ll just go outside. I think I saw someone I like.” I asked my Dad and he just nodded. I even saw my Mom smile at me.

I was just wandering around the outside of the house when I saw someone alone by the bridge.

I can see her face because of that little light coming from the post.

She seems to be enjoying herself.

Right! She’s the one I saw earlier that is going out here.

I mean it when I told my parents that I saw someone I like.

And there she is. Sitting alone and looking all mesmerized by the scenery.

“Enjoying the view?”

I asked her.

Mukhang nabigla s’ya dahil napatayo siya sa kinauupuan niya.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to trespass.” She said.

Mukhang nalungkot s’ya.

I want to wipe off that sadness in her.

Naglakad ako papalapit sa kanya.

I think she unconsciously smile while I approach her.

“It’s fine.”

Do you know how I feel right now? I feel like I am so happy just by seeing her smile like that.

“I’m Elizabeth and you are?” she told me and hand me her hand.

I form a smile on my face.

“I’m James! Nice to meet you, Miss Elizabeth.”

I took her hand and it was the softest thing I had ever touched. I felt the jolt running through my arm as I touched her skin. Is this what they say that someone would feel when they are in contact with someone who is really meant for them? Is that true?

I shrugged off the thought and gestured her to sit at the bench.

I still hold on to her hand even though we’re already sitting.

I looked intently at her face and I swear I’ve seen her before.

“Have we met?”

I asked her.

“I think so? But I cannot remember where exactly.” She answered back.

“Madalas ka ba sa mga ganitong pagtitipon? I guess I’ve seen you from afar but never had the chance to formally meet you.”

Tama! Nakita ko na nga s’ya noon.

She’s the girl with those sad eyes. Ang babaeng pilit ang ngiti.

“Oo. I’m always with my mother.”

“Oh, I see. Now I remember. Lagi nga kitang nakikitang may kasama. You always wear those sweet smile but your eyes always tells a different story.”

She looked at me with those daze eyes.

I can still see the sadness in those beautiful eyes of hers.

It’s like looking through an open book.

“I guess you can say that. It’s truly amazing that you can easily read me with just looking at my eyes.” She said silently.

I was actually shocked that she thinks of that.

“Well the eyes are the windows to one’s soul.” I said. And I could clearly see that sadness written over her face. I want to wipe it off. I want her to be happy. And if I could, I would do that.

“What are you thinking?” she asked me.

“What am I thinking?” my smile widened. “I think you’re lonely. I think you don’t want to be in that kind of place and you’re only forcing yourself to smile even though it is evident that you’re sad. And I think now, I wanted so badly to wipe those sorrows enveloping you. Am I correct?”

“So don’t be sad, Eli. If you’d like I would gladly enter your life and make you happy.”

“How can you tell me those things if we just met? Are you a mind reader or something?” she asked me again.

I just chuckled.

I want to be close to her. I want to hold her. I want to be the one protecting her and making her smile and laugh and happy. I want her… So bad! I need her so damn much.

“Would you like to dance?”

I asked her as I still held her hand.

I hold her in her waist and swayed as I hummed.

I’m still looking at her beautiful almond colored eyes. It was so mesmerizing. I felt like my heart is thumping crazy that I can’t even control it no more.

I can make her happy. I will make her happy.

We were smiling at each other while still looking at each other’s eyes.

It’s never tiring to just look at her this way while holding her in my arms. She’s so close to me that I felt myself being complete! The feeling I have never felt for anyone. The feeling that I have searched for so long; the feeling that my parents wanted me to feel all along! She’s the one who’s giving it all to me right now.

Now I know she’s the right one for me!