Mercy

The house had been scouted and marked many days before. Supposedly a young couple lived here. They were not extremely rich, but certainly well-to-do. They likely had some things worth taking. That is why I was here. The moonless night was dark as I snuck over to the window. The house lacked a traditional security system, its rather isolated and remote location usually enough in itself to deter any unwanted visitors. The couple had moved in about a year ago, but hadn't gotten around to doing many renovations on the house, the least of which installing a new security system to replace the way outdated one that had been installed many years prior and was no longer functional. It was easy to pry open the window I had decided to enter by. As my map had indicated, the floorplan of the house was the exact same as it had been when the database of houses was last updated.

I slipped into the first room through the window. The room was dimly lit and appeared to be used as a computer or entertainment room. There were two gaming setups, obviously the couple gamed together in their free time. The computer systems were highly advanced with very recent tech and high specs. I decided to grab those last since they would be heavy and awkward. I held my knife in my hand and crept over to the door. Gently and quietly opening it I found myself in a sparsely decorated hallway. There was a simple rug on the floor and a few pictures on the wall. I did not stop to look, but instead crept through the house. I saw a few more valuables and identified where the couple was sleeping. Cautiously I crept over to pick up what I had come for, an antique model of the first laser gun. There were rumors that this couple had gotten their hands on it somehow, but seeing it in person was amazing. This piece of technology revolutionized weaponry. Just as I reached out to grab it though, a slight sound startled me. I spun around with my knife drawn to see the young woman on the other side of the room.

"So, you came here to take my first creation have you?" She drawled smoothly.

Something about her voice seeped fear into my bones. It was like nothing I had ever felt before, but yet she was just an unarmed young woman. I had a knife and my wits. I had fought on the streets for many years. This young woman had no right to strike fear into my heart.

I shrugged "You won't be needing it after I'm done with you."

She laughed, the sound chilled my bones again, but this time I attempted to ignore it "Oh? And what do you think you are going to do to me? Do you really think I am just going to let you free with my hard work?"

For the first time I registered what she had said earlier. She had called the gun 'her creation'. Not a lot was known about the creator of the laser gun as its background was shrouded in mystery. It was well known however that the company who first patented it had made a lot of money selling the technology to the military.

I frowned "It matters not what I want to do to you, but you won't stop me. You do not need the money from this, however I have a family to feed."

She shrugged "They all say that. However to me it isn't a matter of money, but of the fact that this model was the very first weapon I built and it has sentimental value to me. Now if you would please escort yourself out the door we can do this the easy way."

I grunted "I won't be leaving without it, anyrate, there is no reason for me to listen to your threats. After all I am the one with a weapon and you are just a girl."

Her smile was almost sad as she moved her right hand ever so slightly to reveal the gun in her hand "I wouldn't be so sure of that. I do seem to have the superior weapon here."