Chapter 1: Backstory

Young Izuku's POV:

"Mommy, when do you think I'll get my quirk?" I said in a bright and cheery tone.

"I don't know honey, it should start showing up soon, we can ask the doctor when we go to your checkup tomorrow," my mother smiled sweetly at me. I nodded my head and started to giggle.

I look towards my dad, who was smiling at us. I ran up to him and hugged him. "I'll be the best hero you'll ever see!"

He pets my head and smiled, "I bet you will!" My mother walked over and kissed my father on the cheek. Papa then picked me up and Mommy hugged the both of us.

I was getting sleepy since it was getting late so my parents took me to my room and tucked me in. I soon drifted off into a cozy slumber.

The next day...

We arrived at the small clinic where I was going to get my check-up. My mother and I sat on two chairs in the waiting room and had a brief chat before they called for me. A nurse escorted us to a room in the clinic to meet the physician.

She opened the door and let us in, she then went back to the office to call for the next person. The doctor greeted us and soon my check-up was over. In the last part of my check-up, I had my X-rays taken.

The doctor seemed to be a bit... off, but I shrugged off the suspicion I had of him. He was sort of on the older side, he wore strange but circular glasses that looked like gears and was bald. He had a bushy mustache and wasn't very tall.

When the doctor came back with the X-rays, he had a very straight face. He began to speak, "Miss, what are her parents' quirks?"

My mother responded, "well, I can attract objects and my husband can breathe fire. Why do you ask?"

The physician proceeded to answer, "it's just that it seems your daughter will not be able to manifest a quirk, you see, " he lifted the x-ray of my foot, "people tend to have an extra bone in there little toe when they are supposed to develop a quirk. Your daughter may be quirkless for life."

I sat there in shock, frozen when reality punched me in the gut. I could feel my All Might figurine loosen from my grip and drop to the floor.

We left soon after he had told us the news and Mommy tried to cheer me up with some ice cream but that didn't change the fact that I was quirkless.

A couple of hours had passed and I was still in complete and utter shock,  my father should be finished with work by now. I heard the front door open but I wasn't excited. My eyes were watering as I sat in my room rewatching an old video of my idol, All Might. I could hear my mother speaking with Papa in the next room over, then replaced by the sound of footsteps approaching my room.

My back was to the door as I continue to play the same video over and over again. A smile grew wide on my face as I watched my favorite hero smile while saving many people. The door opened and I turned around to see both of my parents with worried expressions on there faces. I started to speak and pointed to the screen while trembling, " he never fails to smile while saving people even when it gets dangerous, " I felt hot tears run down my cheeks as I sat there with a wide smile on my face.

My mother and father walked over to me and gave me a big hug. "Do you think I can still become a hero even without a quirk?"

I waited for a response as I heard my parents speak with hesitation in their voices. Mommy said, "Izuku, sweetie... you... I-I'm sorry!" she cried on my shoulder then Papa spoke, "sweetheart, you can still help and save people! You can be a doctor! A hero would be far too dangerous of a job for you and I want you to stay safe!" He hugged me tightly and one can tell that he was extremely upset about the situation too.