TEN

Adrian rode the horse back toward Woodstock as fast as he could, but with Nicolette sitting in front of him, holding onto the reins of the other two horses. He wasn't about to leave the horses for the men to use. On foot, the threesome would be much slower, and maybe the sheriff could catch them.

It still irked him that Carson hadn't been man enough to tell the sheriff of Nicolette's kidnapping. Apparently, the man's pride was more important. Adrian was just grateful that God answered his prayers by giving Nicolette the idea of the Chamomile plant.

The closer they got to town, the better he could breathe. But until those men were locked in jail, Adrian would always be looking over his shoulder. He'd planned on contacting his superior in the military to let him know of the three fools who were trying to find a buried treasure. If the military hid a treasure, Adrian's superior would know.

The full moon helped to light their journey back home – another thing to thank God for. Up ahead, there looked to be four riders coming toward Adrian. He slowed his horse, which slowed the other two horses as well. When the four riders neared, they slowed down, too.

Thanks to the full moon, Adrian recognized Sheriff Green. He also recognized his father and brother, Jacob. Adrian sighed with relief. It's about time!

"Adrian?" His father's voice rang through the night.

"Yes, it's me, and Nicolette."

They reached each other and all halted their horses. The sheriff removed his hat and pushed his fingers through his thinning hair. "What happened? I've been out of town all day, and I was just told that you and Miss McFarland had been kidnapped."

So, apparently, Carson had been a man and reported it.

"Yes," Adrian said. "The men that shot me last week were the ones who kidnapped us this morning."

"As you can see," Nicolette said, holding up the reins of the other two horses. "We got away."

Adrian's father chuckled. "That's my girl."

A decade long pain clenched his chest. Adrian had always thought his father loved Nicolette more than his own son. Even though she had tried to convince him that it wasn't true, Adrian couldn't help feeling dejected.

"Actually, Uncle Teddy," she said, "Adrian was the one who made it possible to escape."

"Lottie," Adrian muttered, referring back to her nickname. Old habits die hard, especially when his father was involved with the memory. "Don't be shy. You were the one –"

"And you," she quickly interrupted, "were the one who prayed and had faith that God would help. And He did." She smiled.

He rubbed her arm in silent thanks.

"Where are these men now?" she sheriff asked.

"On the road heading toward Saratoga Springs. They were asleep when we left them." Adrian motioned behind him.

"I expecting they'll sleep until daylight."

Sheriff Green turned to the other three men. "Should we ride or wait until the crack of dawn?"

"Sheriff?" Adrian said. "You're about three hours away from them. It might be best to catch them now while they are still drugged with the Chamomile plant."

His father laughed. "Chamomile? Oh, this story ought to be interesting."

"Why don't you two head back home," the sheriff said. "You're probably tuckered right out from today's adventure."