Under The MistleToe

'Twas the night of Christmas Eve. The snow poured itself down high from the clouds above the city, looking majestic as it came down. Each snow flake twinkled like little drifting stars. People were seen still shopping, but most were already snug and cozy in their homes.

Usually around Christmas Eve, every citizen and every pet you'd see in town was filled with pleasing joy. The kind that you get mostly around this time of year. The kind where your heart races, and blood pumps giving you energy and eagerness, and excitement and everyone has a smile on their face. But today for maybe some people, or more specifically pets, was different.

The seven pets got to stay a while longer at the pet shop than usual, to spend some holiday time together. Six pets to be correct, since Vinnie was gone on a vacation with the rest of the Terrio family down in Florida. The rest of the gang missed him for his absence.

Anyway, a Christmas party was held in the pet shop just for Blythe and the pets. There was a table, that contains many plates of belly filling goodies, snacks, and treats, even hot chocolate and apple cider. The pets partied like they never had since last year. Music busted up loud and cheerful. Everyone wore festive sweaters and chat about their blessings.

Everyone except Pepper. What was she doing? Parties were where she did her best joke telling. Or second best, because her favorite day would be April Fools. But usually you would see her cracking up at her own jokes and hanging out with the others. You would also find her in a brilliantly good mood, you can tell by the scent in the air. Even though the room smelled like candy and pine, there just wasn't that 'Pepper'minty fragrance to it.

If anyone payed close attention, they'd recognize that happy scent wasn't there. Only, they didn't. No one barely even noticed Pepper's absence. They were all too busy chatting to even recognize it.

However, Sunil was the first to notice. While he sat in a chair at the table next to Penny and Russell, he had that feeling that something or someone was needed. Sure enough, of course, his feelings were correct. As explained earlier, Pepper had been muted since the party began.

As Sunil sat next to his friends, he didn't really talk much. Not totally silent, but not very talkative. Although from time to time he listened to some of their conversations, which weren't that interesting. At least he wasn't that left out. But Sunil still wished for some pet to talk to because Vinnie wasn't there, but none of the pets seemed interested, as from his point of view, even though he didn't actually know that for sure.

The mongoose didn't do much, but after that last sip of apple cider, he got up to refill it up. Standing from the chair, Sunil walked over. Before pressing the little nob down, through the corner of his golden eyes, was Pepper. Why hadn't he noticed sooner? The blue one turned his head to see her stare glumly out the window. He was a little heart broken to see her sad, and because of this he forgotten about getting another cup of cider for himself.

But just then Pepper turned around. Sunil figured he was staring too long and she felt watched upon. Almost immediately he turned the opposite direction. Sunil managed to get a glimpse of the skunk's facial expressions, and sure enough she was unhappy. Her eyes looked like they recently rained, and she happened to be wearing a bold frown.

" She's sad. " The mongoose muttered to himself. A displeasing, uncomfortable feeling swelled in his chest. For a split second his cheeks were red compared to apples, then faded but resulted in a tingly sensation. Sunil now faced the cider dispenser. Looking at this, he was given an idea. Instead of getting cider for himself, he could be a gentlemen and get a cup for Pepper. " Ohh. " He mumbled to himself. Deciding not to be quite so selfish, Sunil filled up an identical cup with hot, warm, refreshing and delicious apple cider.