Chapter 1

"Mama, I'm not ready." I said whilst picking at her porridge. "Come on, everyone will love you!" Mother responded smiling at me, successfully covering her worry that lies right behind the smile. She knew very well that I could face cruel people, but she also knew, and hoped, that I would stand up for herself and ultimately, prove everyone wrong.

After letting out a sigh, I shrugged as I picked up my bulky school bag filled to the absolute maximum with numerous books, binders and notepads. I had a plan to do extremely well, knowing that it won't be very long until I am dropped into the real world to start facing difficult challenges.

Staring out of the condensated window, I waited for the school bus to emerge from the corner of my street.

*HONK*

The sound startled me, but as soon as I realised it was the school bus, I darted outside, not forgetting to say "I love you" to mother. "STOP STOP!" I screamed in hope of the bus driver hearing me as I waved my arms around in the air stupidly. Of course the bus driver knew to stop, he knew to stop from the second I arrived at the bus stop. I didn't know that, after all I was "different".

I entered the bus greeting everyone as I sauntered down the aisle looking for an empty seat. I was quite confused when I got no responses. Back at home, it was different. When you greeted someone, it was like you were automatically friends. But here, no one cared. I dusted it off and sat down at an empty seat in the back of the bus.

The two girls that were seated next to me moved their bags onto their laps and hugged them as they gawked at me. I was extremely puzzled, but I guess I just thought they wanted to get a piece of gum, or something...

I inserted my earphones and listened to music for the rest of the journey, eager to see what this school would hold.