l e t t e r f o u r

letter four

Dear Namjoon,

It's a moral of mine to never regret any part of any relationship with any person, because in the end, I believe that whether that relationship was good or bad, it was all a learning experience in the end. However, considering what went down between us two, I can't help but wonder from time to time how things might have turned out differently for us.

But to start off, I want to thank you for helping me love my name. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked my name. People have always told me that my name was unique, and I've always known it to be, but you gave my name meaning, and you praised it to the point where I fell in love with it as well. If anything, you're the reason I sign off on my letters the way I do.

We were both in our third years of college when we had first met. You were a year older than me, so technically you should have been a senior, but you had taken a gap year back when you were a freshman, resulting in our similar educational statuses. I was sitting down at a table on one of the campus libraries, working on a paper that was due within the week, but I was having a writer's block and couldn't seem to get passed the introductory paragraph. I didn't know you had been staring at me the whole time from the table across, and that you had noticed the frustrated expressions I was giving to my laptop screen. You came over and rapped your knuckles lightly on the table to get my attention.

"Hi. You're working on Professor Hwang's literature essay, right? Do you need any help?"

I remember looking at you in shock, because I had no idea who you are and yet here you were, offering to help me with the exact essay I had been working on. You noticed my bewildered expression and let out a chuckle, stretching out your hand for me to take and introducing yourself as Namjoon. You told me we were in the same literature class, and that we had been classmates now for well over half the semester. I, of course, was super embarrassed, because your face was still not at all familiar, but you kindly brushed away my apologies, saying the class was quite large, so it was understandable for me not to know who you were. Once again, you offered to help me on the essay, which I gladly accepted, and we spent the rest of the day working on the assignment together.

By the time we wrapped up the essay, the night sky was apparent from the library windows, and you kindly offered to walk me to my dorm. I refused, seeing as you did so much for me already, but you insisted, because "no girl should have to walk alone in the dark." And so, I let you walk me back to the dorm, a peaceful silence settling between us as we matched our footsteps. Then out of nowhere, you asked me a question I was not expecting.

"Why do you think the moon and stars always come out together every night?"

To be honest, the question caught me really off guard, and when I turned to face you, your eyes were already transfixed onto the night sky. Slowly, you lowered your face to look at me, an expectant look on your face.