Chapter One

"Love tears us apart,"

-Anonymous

***

Stomach. Knee. Chest. Cheekbone.

"Very good, Corabella. Your strikes are getting better and better each day," Jones praised from behind me.

I grunted, not pausing as I lashed out my leg, nailing my opponent in the jaw with my foot. The older wolf collapsed to the ground, and he smirked up at my while clutching his cheek.

"Caught me off guard, girly," Pete groaned, rising to his feet.

Ignoring the grumbling male, I faced Jones. "You need to find me a tougher opponent. Pete is too easy."

Jones nodded at me, his goofy grin unsettling me. "I sure will. Go for a run around the territory and come straight back here. We'll work on your wolf next."

Pete paled next to him, and I rolled my eyes. He is a thirty year old warrior, and he is scared of an eighteen-year-old girl.

Pathetic.

I quickly made my way out of the training building and began to run towards the woods. Once I reached the edge, I broke into a sprint, the orange leaves swirling in my wake.

This was my favorite part of training. I darted through the thick brush, hopping over logs and briars at top speed. Orange and red leaves littered the moist ground, but were soon crumbled under my quick feet. I watched as deer and even a few fawns pranced after me, our steps graceful and in sync. I was very skilled at running, and that was because I worked to match the gracefullness of the deer's hooves.

I ran around our territory, not stopping for anyone. Ever since that fateful day, I wasn't very talkative or friendly.

I quickly shook away my darkening thoughts. I did not need to think of him during training. I didn't need to think of him, period.

As soon as I stepped through the doors of the training center, Jones whooped happily. I glanced over at him and noticed the stopwatch in his hand.

"New pack record! What'd I tell ya, Alpha? Your daughter has become the best we have," Jones shouted appraisingly to my father.

My father nodded with a smile. "I expected as much. She is making me proud."

I stood there awkwardly, feeling as though I was being examined like a science fair project. I didn't like being stared at, and the two men in front of me were doing just that.

As if sensing my tension, Cherry strolled into the training room, a frown on her face. She glanced between me and the two men and glared at them.

"You two are making my mommy uncomfortable! You need to leave her alone and let her go early, because she has to attend a very important tea party. Right, Uncle Thomas?" she boomed, fixing her glared on the training room entrance.

I heard a deep sigh and watched as my best friend walked in, wearing a pink boa, a princess crown, and pink nail polish on his fingers.

Before that day, I would have laughed at Thomas's ridiculous garb that Cherry obviously forced on him, but my face remained in its emotionless stone, though I gazed at my daughter adoringly.

Jones muffled his laugh, nodding. "Go on, Cora. You're good."

I nodded stiffly, briskly walking up to Cherry and placing her on my hip. I walked out with Thomas in tow towards the pack house.

Once we reached the kitchen, Cherry demanded that we make cookies and tea for the tea party. Thomas and I immediately went to work as she shouted orders from her perch on the aisland.

After a few minutes, she got bored and hopped down, saying she was going to hang out with Kara while we baked.

Thomas and I baked in silence; though he might have been uncomfortable by it, I was happy there was no conversation. I prefered the silence, even if everyone tried to ruin it.

Speaking of ruining, Thomas chose that moment to speak up.

"I know these past two months have been hard, but you need to stop," he said quietly.

I grunted, not quite understanding what he was talking about.

"You need to see him. You may not realize it, but he is dying because of your rejection," he sighed. Taking a deep breath, he pressed on. "And not long after that, you will, too."

I stopped rolling out the doe and closed my eyes, a headache beginning to settle behind them. "I am not going to see him. He was a distraction, and I needed him gone. I am stronger without him, and I know he is stronger without me, too. He will wake up any moment; just wait."

"You know as well as I do that he is fucking dying. That is your mate, and though you may act like you don't care, I know it breaks your damn heart when someone mentions his worsening condition. You want to go be with him, and you want him to get better, but something is holding you back from showing him the love you both deserve. What the fuck is it, Cora?" He growled lowly, anger building in his eyes.

"It's called hate. I do not want him, no matter what story your brains thinks up as an excuse for my behavior. I know he's dying, but I don't care," I growled forcefully, my Alpha tone slipping in. Too mad to care if I hurt his feelings, I stormed outside, wishing my wolf would come back so I could shift once more.

***

Hi, readers! I'm starting this story back up; hope y'all are excited! :)