BAPTISM OF EVIL

It wasn't supposed to happen this way...

•••

I am Viston Carlovskog, the Reveance Empire's only 178th-degree Archmage in its entire history. I still remember my days when I first went to the Empire's Magic school. Our family couldn't afford another child to feed, so I took upon myself to travel from our village to the Empire's capital. Grazing on grass, leaves and fruits. Fending off wild animals and finding shelter to sleep, it took nearly six months to reach the capital on my own. The only saving grace were the people who helped me sometimes on the way with spare food, clothing and directions. When I reached the capital, I was so happy. I only had rags over my body, covered in wounds all over. But, I was still aspirant. I had the gift of Gaia. I could control the power that was only visible in every 10,000 commoners. But, even if you have the gift but no mental capacity to manage over it, you will still be same as someone without the gift. I ran to the Magic school, asking people about where it was. But looking like a beggar, it was hardly difficult to imagine people steered clear of me. But somehow I made it to the school. And I went to get tested. Empire's policy to test anyone without any charge was my only bet to even sit for testing. And by god's grace, they concluded Gaia blessed me. Then came another person in a white robe, an archmage, which I didn't know at that time, and looked straight towards me. Somehow he was gauging me. And then he said he would take me in as his disciple. Only decades later, I knew why he took me in. He read into my soul and saw the other gift I had, the wise. Only royalties had that gift in the past, allowing them to make decisions that ordinary people won't even dare think about.

•••

"Sir Viston. Sorry to disturb you while working but the Emporer seeks your audience."

And just as I was reminiscing about old days. I just stand up from my desk and signals the chaperone to lead the way. It has been 60 years since the day of the entrance at magic school. And just as I enter into the courtroom with Emperor sitting at the end of it on his throne. Lines of people of importance stand on sides. As soon as I reach near enough to the throne, I bow.

"Viston, I am happy you could join us today in the courtroom. But today we have something we need your expertise on."

After saying that the Emperor ordered to pass on a book to me, more precisely, a Time, now I know why they need me here.

"I would be happy to be of service to the empire," I said that while still bowed down.

"Can you tell us what it is? The texts look like scriptures of Lanuaria to me." said the Emperor.

"You are right majesty. But not entirely, it's not Lanuaria, but a derivative of sorts. I can't say for sure, but it looks like it's written,
'In times when evil is too powerful to contain, they descend onto the world when called.'
I can't read any further, but since it's derived from Lanuaria, it may be a divine tome."

"