Dark Nights And Restless Mornings

I stood at the window and stared into the darkness,listening to the wind singing softly in the trees. I had been alone in this room for quite some time now.
After Blake left I had started to look around the room and rumaging through the drawers and the cupboard.

I did not know exactly what I was looking for. Just something, anything, that might perhaps help me determine where I was or a way to contact the outside wold. But all I found where clothes, writing utensils, some pictures of Blake an his sister and other people. I looked at them, all hugging and smiling and they just seemed so...normal.

Those were the kind of pictures you pin to your fridge or put in a frame on your desk. Not pictures in the house of psychopaths. How could they just look so happy and innocent and human? They were not. I did not want to imagine them all hanging out at the mall and eating ice-cream. It was just wrong.

I stuffed the pictures back where I found them and slammed the drawer shut. I was pissed. They did not get to have happy lives while they ruined others. I turned and pondered whether I should peek into the nightstand. I knew there was stuff in there I probably did not want to see. But what if there was something in there that could help me?

I turned towards the door and checked that there was no-one approaching and opened the nightstand. I cringed at what I saw and quickly closed it again. Only rope, handcuffs and condoms. I shuddered again and moved away as quickly as I could.

I then stood in front of his huge collection of books for the longest time. Blake seemed to have something of everything. Classics like Shakespear and Jane Austin, to Kenneth Graham, Tolkien and Brooks. I hated to admit that he had a great taste. And that also did not seem right. A criminal was not supposed to have good taste in books.

I hated him and I wanted to keep it that way. I was not supposed to smile at the sight of some of the things in this room. It was just so wrong.

So now I stood by the window and tried to shut out everything in here, to the smell of him that seemed to coat the walls. I did not want to think about the fact that all these monsters had been kids once and probably played with other kids and swung so high on the swings that they thought they could touch the sky like I had seen on one of the pictures.

It was quiet. I was thankful for that at least. I could not hear what they were doing. I had no way of telling the time. There were no electronical devices in here at all. Blake was not that stupid to leave something like that laying around.

I looked down on the ground and considered jumping down. I would probably make it and then could sneak into the woods again. But would that really help me? The last time I tried it had only let to something I did not wish to repeat and I had a feeling they knew what I was up to. There were bound to be cameras on the premises, otherwise they would not have been able to sneak up on me like they had, knowing where I was exactly.

And the threat on Nathan's life was always hanging in the air. I did not know what exactly they would be capable of doing but I did not doubt they might go to extremes and I knew Murphy and Blake had not been joking in their threats. I was scared of what they might do and I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him because of me.

My thoughts semed to stray back to my friend whenever I was not careful. I did not want to think about him because then I would only worry and worry and would never form any clear thought again. I did not know where he was or what he was doing. The only comfort I had was knowing he would do his best to get back to me as soon as he could. The fear in his eyes was real and he would do anything he could to get me out of here.

I held unto that thought and tried to draw comfort from it.

My thoughts were interrupted by the lock clicking and my body went into high alert again. Facing the door, I grabbed the windowsill to steady my trembling body. Blake entered and smirked as his eyes landed on me.