Chapter Two

The next day, Yua was practicing the Wagakki when her father had stepped into her chambers. She played the instrument very delicately, the music flowing past the walls and into the halls. She had an arch to her brow as she concentrated on the fingering but had a small grin as she enjoyed the sound of the ancient song. When she finished, her father spoke to her.

"I have visited the matchmaker."

"You already have?" She asked. Yua was stunned because two full days had barely gone by.

"Yes, daughter. And we have found you a husband."

"Who is it?"

Yua instantly sensed the tension in the emperor's body. His behavior changed to a stern abruptness that she had only seen when angry. But he did not seem angry because he seemed more frustrated than anything.

"Go pack your bags. You will meet him in the next several days. He lives in the Alps."

"The Alps!"

"Yes, he is an exile."

"An Exile!"

"Again, yes. Now you must go pack."

Yua had so many questions to ask but Eiichi had already left the room.

She looked out the window and at the cloudy skies. Among the skies were mountain peaks that seemed to be as high as the clouds. She could see the snow that touched the tops and immediately knew she was in for quite more than just a trip afar.

__

Yua watched as the horses were saddled and the buggy was packed with luggage. She wore a more comfortable kimono for travel but had brought a white kimono with an intricate pink and red floral design and a matching dark red obi (Sash) for when she met with her future husband, Daichi.

Her father had caught her up briefly on who Daichi was, how powerful he once had been, and how harsh he could be in his ways. She was prepared for the best and she was prepared for the worst. Her father gave her his farewells earlier that day, noting he would be busy for the rest of the afternoon. Upon leaving her, he gave her a necklace that had belonged to her mother, the Empress, and made Yua vow to keep safe with her mother's spirit by her side always.

Her father would leave her with Daichi but not alone. Accompanying her would be two royal guards dressed in royal armor and her royal servant, Sara. Yua did not take long to learn the royal guards' names. They were Bankan and Bassui. They were twin brothers and had joined the army together but because they naturally came from a prominent family they were considered nobility and joined the royal branch.

Yua and Sara rode in a buggy steered by Bankan while Bassui rode on horseback to the side. The crowd from the very busy streets moved away from the buggy because Bassui held the royal flag on a tall pole indicating people to make way for royalty.

Peeking through the door of the buggy, Yua saw people staring in awe as they rode through. She looked at the familiar stands and buildings one last time, memorizing them, and wondering when she would return home.

She was saddened as they left the city but looked toward the Alps. She was ready to face anything or anyone, including her fated to be husband. And no matter what happened she would not let the warnings of his dark nature to weaken her prideful and strong-willed character.