twenty eight

"What the fuck! What the actual fuck are you thinking?" a voice echoed through the hallways. Zach and I walked down the hallway and looked around the corner to see clay, facing Principal Bolan and a S.W.A.T team.

"Clay, would you take a seat in my office please?" Principal Bolan said calmly. "No I will not take a seat in your office, you think this is the way to make us safe?" Clay yelled, and a crowd started to form around him.

"You know what would make me feel safe? Not having to go to school with metal detectors, or video cameras, or armed fucking guards." Clay exclaimed.

Principal Bolan looked around at the now formed crowd, "there's still class folks, okay? the bell hasn't rung." Bolan said.

"No you're killing us! You are killing us, don't you get that? You made a fucking drill with gunshots, and hammered down the door to prepare us for what, exactly? To show us what it feels like to be hunted? To practice getting ready to die? To make us afraid for our lives? We already know how that feels, you're scaring us to death!" Clay screamed.

"Calm down son." The S.W.A.T officer said grabbing Clay by the arm. "I am not your goddamn son, get the fuck away from me! We're children, we're kids. We should be living our fucking lives." Clay said, and everyone stood there in shock.

"We are trying to keep you alive. That's what every minute of these drills have been about." Principal Bolan explained. "No it's about you checking a fucking box, a regulation!" Clay screamed again.

"Alright, that's enough!" The officer yelled grabbing Clay. "Get off me!" Clay screamed struggling, I watched as Clay reached for the officers gun, and held it up in the air.

"Am I safer now, huh? I got your gun?" Clay said waving around the gun. Everyone gasped, and students started running away from the scene out of the school doors.

"Clay, hey." I said stepping towards him. "Avery don't." Zach said, lightly grabbing my wrist, but I shook him off. "Clay." I said calmly, standing in front of him.

"Clay, it's Avery." I spoke and he stopped screaming, and looked at me. "Give me the gun." I said softly, and he gave me a look. "Please?" I asked.

He set the gun in my hand and began sobbing uncontrollably. "It's okay." I cooed, pulling him into a hug.

"It's okay." I said again. I looked around at all of the officers with guns drawn, and I pulled away from Clay.

The strong body of one of the officers slammed into mine. As I hit the ground, a loud eruption of screams left the mouths of my friends.

"Let her go!" Clay screamed, hopping on the officers back. The officer pinned my arms above my head, his body straddling mine.

"Please get off me." I said, my breathing becoming irregular. My mind flooded back to my assult, the body weight on top of me, unable to move.

"Zach, get him off me." I begged, starting to sob. Zach shoved the officer off and helped me stand. The officer started to come at Zach, but Principal Bolan stood between us.

"Leave these children alone." He demanded, holding his arm out. I look over at Clay, who was now being strapped down to a gurney tears streaming down his cheeks.

I watched as the rolled Clay out everyone stared and whispers fell from everyone's lips. "Avery are you okay?" Zach asked. "I'm fine, we should go." I said.