Chapter 3: Huh?

Following the boy's remark, the girl elbows him.

"Ow!" he whines.

Oh. It's the people from the apartment. That's why they won't let me out. Well, fuck.

I turn around to find the boy that had been chasing me also trying to catch his breath. Not as much though, of course.

As he makes eye contact with me, he starts moving closer, "Look- I- Okay I think you read this situation completely wrong."

I cross my arms and crease my eyebrows together. "You just chased me down 20 flights of stairs."

"I know but-" he starts.

"And cornered me into an alley with two other people."

"Okay-"

"I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to interpret that."

He sighs and rubs his face with his hands, then diverts his attention back to me, a pleading look in his eyes. "Can you just hear me out?"

I don't say anything, instead I slightly raise my eyebrows and look at him expectantly.

Before he can start talking, the girl that's been standing behind me says, "We should probably go back to the apartment before you tell her anything."

I tense up again, "I don't even know y'all are, why would I go to your apartment?"

I turn back around when the boy starts talking again, "Look, I get that you don't know who we are so you don't think you can trust us, but you can."

"Oh, well that makes me feel better, thanks," I reply sarcastically.

"We can explain everything when get back to the apartment," the other boy pipes up.

I sigh, looking up at each of them, who are looking at me for an answer.

"...Fine," I grumble.

Each of them break out into a smile. The boy and girl near the opening of the alley start walking out, as the boy behind me jogs to catch up with me.

"I'm going to regret this, aren't I?" I say to him.

He chuckles at that, then nudges my side and mumbles, "C'mon."

_______________________________

I take a breath as the girl unlocks and opens the door to the apartment. I walk in after everyone and look around at the apartment.
Right passed the entry hallway is the living room, and to the right of it is a halfway. On the other side of the living room area is the hallway I hid in earlier. I turn to my immediate left to find the kitchen, where everyone had gone to.

One boy sits on a chair that was already pulled out and the girl sits on the island counter.

The other boy, the one who had chased me down the stairs, glanced over at me, "You hungry? I saw you didn't touch your breakfast."

Although I was, I shook my head no anyway, crossing my arms over my chest uncomfortably, "I'm good."

He raised an eyebrow at me as if he could tell I was lying, but shrugged, "Alright."

He then went to the part of the counter closest to me, leaning his back against it, "So.."

"So..." I replied.

"So before this goes anywhere," the girl butts in, "I know you're probably freaked out right now-"

"From what? The guy trying to kidnap me? Or waking up in a random apartment with three strangers, and then being chased after by them?"

"...Both?"

"Yeah. Kinda."

"Well that guy, uh, he's-"

The boy at the counter then clears his voice loudly, obviously to cut off the girl. He then scratches his head awkwardly, gesturing to the table with the other boy, "Might wanna take a seat."

I raise my eyebrows questioningly, but move to go sit at the table anyway. I look at him expectantly. There was something familiar about him, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

"I'm-uh- Wyatt by the way," the boy at the table says to me with an awkward half-smile.

"Right, I'm Peter," the other one says.

"And I'm Sophia," the girl glances up at me with a small smile.

"Oh, um, I'm-" I start.

"Madison," they all say simultaneously.

I look at them in bewilderment, eyes widening while I internally freak out, "Huh?"

"Yeah we, uh, we kinda already know who you are," Wyatt says.

I look back at all of them, who are all watching me carefully to see how I'd react, "Huh?"

Peter takes a deep breath and pushes off of the counter, "You're parents were...friends with our parents."

"Why couldn't you lead with that?" I reply, some of the tension leaving my body.

"You're parents seriously didn't tell you?" Wyatt questions, confusion and curiosity written on his face.

Peter and Sophia both turn their heads to him, giving him a glare as if mentally scolding him.

He raises his hands up in defense, "Hey, I was just wondering. I mean, our parents told us."

"What did my parents not tell me? And who was that guy from last night?" I ask timidly, frustrating lacing my voice due to being left in the dark about whatever this is.

They all turn back to me, then to Peter. "Well, uh," he starts, "I don't really where to start. I guess I could just show you?"

I squint my eyes at him, not knowing where he's going to take this.

"You see, we didn't bring you here just because our parents were friends," he says as he walks closer to me. "Everyone in this room today is here for a reason. They're here because they're special. Including you."

After making it a few feet in front of me, he stops. He then holds his hand out. All of a sudden, a fire appears in his hand. A fire that appeared out of no where, in which he is casually holding in his hand with no blisters or wounds forming on him.

What the fuck.

I look at the fire, completely speechless. I don't say a thing as I squint my eyes at it. Perhaps if I look close enough I'll realize that my eyes are just playing tricks on me. Or that Sophia and Wyatt only made it seem like there's a fire in his hand, while there actually isn't, and they're just playing a prank.

But, alas, that fire is actually in his hand, and it is completely real.

Peter coughs awkwardly, quickly dispersing the flame. "You see," he starts, looking at me carefully, "we all have...superpowers."

_____________________________

A/N: shortish chapter but hope you enjoy! i might make more tonight who knows lol