Chapter 1

"Melody get your ass back in this house! You have to study for finals, you got so much to look forward to and you're just throwing it away over some boy! Wait till I talk to you dad!" My mom shouted at me as she followed me down the porch steps.

I chuckled, "Talk to Dad? Whens the last time we seen him? Let alone the last time he' s called. You know the streets is his family!"

My mom had some nerve to bring my dad into this. He was never around. Let alone did he ever call to check in on us. But leave it to mom, 'he just wants better for us', I say fuck that. I'm not gonna be shit in life, so I might as well stop trying.

"You know he just wants-" She started to say before I cut her off.

"Oh shut up with that shit mom! Damn!" I scowled at her. Her hand reached out and I felt a stinging sensation from her slapping me. We stood there glaring at each other for what seemed like hours.

She finally broke the silence and chuckled, "You stay out here on these streets too long, and they'll consume you. Don't know little girl got no business running these streets. Mark my words. You leave don't bring your ass back here."

She turned to walk up the steps before glancing back at me and shaking her head. She continued on into the house just leaving me standing there. Leaving me with the decision to make. But in my mind I knew the only option I had left.

I walked down to the lobby of my condo building with my shades on. I wasn't ready for this two hour flight to Chicago. This is usually my organization day, so I can sleep in for a bit

.

"Alright the car should be pulling up in a minute." Gevani said typing away on his phone. I love Gevani he is always on top of his work and then my best friend next. I looked down at the humongous IPhone 6 plus Gevani talked me into getting as my business phone. I had no choice after breaking the last one. I really need to go buy a case but, I love how it looks without it. I was going through my calendar when the driver walked in and held the door for me. I handed my bags to him and got in the car.

"Byrd, I have something I want to tell you." Gevani said as he looked down and fiddled with his fingers. I took my shades off and grabbed his hands, indicating him to be confident in what it is he has to say. That's my number one rule no matter what you say to me, you must always say it with grace and confidence no matter the situation. That's why Gevani was my best friend he knew how to do that, so I knew something was up when he lost confidence.

"Ok, well I have decided to go through with the surgery." He said looking me in my eyes. I snatched him up and hugged him tight for I don't know how long.

"G, don't be scared. When is it? I have to be there. You think they'll allow me in the room? I'll pull some strings!" I said jumping in my seat with excitement.

"You're not mad?" He asked. I popped his arm,

"Why the hell would I be mad at you? It's your body, your life, and your decision. Whatever you do I will always support you!" He had some nerve to ask that. "Just don't steal my boyfriend, again." I said mugging him.

"Honey, I didn't steal him. He came on to me. He wasn't my type. He was one of them closet boys." He said dying laughing. I chuckled thinking about it. My ex boyfriend J'avier and I were together for a year until I saw him trying to suck G up at our condo. I wasn't mad at G he wasn't trying nothing, Javi wasn't his type.

"I don't see how you're gay-dar didn't go off for him anyhow," He said laughing,"The man knew a pair of Jimmy Choo and Christian Louboutins like no other woman did." I busted out laughing he was right. I looked down at my business phone and saw my brother Jayceon calling me.