Chapter 1 ~The Experiment~

The basement was crowded. Yellow tape covered the entrance to the lab, like a CSI investigation scene. Scientists and specialists streamed in and out. Some worked on the tanks and some were even arguing about it.

"Excuse me, do you have any idea where Dr. Brighton might be?" One man asked a scientist. The scientist glanced around the lab; he then directed the guy to a the control panel. There was a man wearing a long white coat, fingers typing and eyes looking curiously at the screen.

The stranger then walked over to Dr. Brighton. "Excuse me for intruding, but can I have a word with you?" he asked.

Dr. Brighton was too distracted by whatever was on the screen and didn't hear the question. He tilted his head to the right and noticed the guy who had asked him a question. The doctor observed the stranger from head to toe; he was wearing a black leather jacket, black gloves, and dark sunglasses. Who wears glasses inside a building?

"Ah, you must be the famous specialist that everyone's talking about,” said the doctor with amazement. "Mind telling me how on earth someone can bridge through the security system? Mr. Manlink?"

"The only thing I can tell you is that­" he paused for a moment and glanced down at the screen and, with confidence, he continued, "Whoever hacked the

security must be a person just like me,” he admitted, giving the doctor a wicked smile.

The doctor appeared annoyed; he was just about to criticize the specialists, when another figure placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled at him and the

specialists. It was a man in a gray suit, with hair slicked back. It was the government himself: Richard Glass.

*************************

"See! I told you that it would work!" Max said, adjusting his spectacles and opening up the door to welcome them back.

The hideout was far from the city; a small wooden house that had been abandoned for a long time, and the interior of the house was renovated nicely with furniture and electronic equipment that they had made themselves.

"So much for it to work! It only bring us a few blocks away from that stupid base!" Cyrus shouted, clenching his fist, hoping to punch that smile off his face. A hand tapped his shoulder gently from behind. It was Jass looking at him, also smiling widely.

"At least we made it back, didn't we?" Jass said, and scanned the living roomlike something was not right. "Where's Lissa?" He asked Max.

"I'm not sure. She was here a while ago," Max replied. "More importantly, who's that girl?"

"One of the test subjects that this idiot bloodsucker wanted to bring back so badly," Cyrus said insultingly and walked off to his room.

Since the hideout was small and all the rooms were occupied, Sam had to bring her to his room. He lay her on the bed then moved over to the door where Max was standing.

"We need to examine her." That was all he said.

"I'm not sure if Melissa would be please with this,” Max said with a worried feeling that Melissa would kill them for this.

Sam was now sitting on a Sofa in the living room, looking at the necklace he was wearing, rewinding memories of his past. He then changed positions to lying down, put his right hand on his forehead, and was about to close his eyes, when the front door flew open! A figure rushed in angrily; it was Melissa, and following her was Jass trying to calm her down. She then glanced around and spotted Sam lying on the sofa peacefully like nothing serious had happened.

"Sam, where is that girl?" She questioned him with a firm tone.

"She's inside my room," he replied.

After hearing the answer she wanted to hear, she speedwalked to his room, only to find that the girl was still unconscious in his bed. After seconds of observing, she went out to an armchair just opposite the sofa where Sam was seated.

She settled herself down on the armchair and was looking back and forth between Sam and Jass, who were sitting side by side. "What are you thinking, bringing that girl back?" she asked Sam.

"She's a friend of mine." There was sadness in his voice.

Melissa and Jass exchanged looks. There was silence for a moment. Melissawas about to ask when Jass cut her off.

"Friend? What do you mean? Come on, spill it, Sam," Jass said, and put his hand on his partners shoulder.

"I knew her before I was twelve. I would always sneak out of my house in the middle of the night and run to central park to meet this girl, who was around the same age as me. Her name was Halena . . . Halena Roseman. We always had fun playing together and the last day I ever saw her, she gave me this necklace," Sam said and glanced down at the necklace, continuing to convince them that the girl was his friend.

Melissa thought she was the first one who woke up early that morning, planning to make breakfast for all. But when she came to the dining table, to her surprise there was already breakfast on the table. She then went straight to the kitchen and spotted Jass wearing an apron that belonged to her and was cooking an omelet. "Breakfast is served,” he said with a funny tone that made her smile.

Soon everyone except Max and the girl was at the dinning table eating their breakfast. Sam went to his mini fridge and gulped his morning supplement of

blood, then quietly joined them for breakfast. There was nothing much to talk about, especially after the truth about the girl and Sam.

Max rushed from his room to the dining table and sat on the chair, exhausted. He had been up all night to examine all the data on the thumb drive. He look like a zombie, with his eye bags begging for him to sleep. "You guys won't believe this! The Witch project was not alone!" He cleared his throat. “There are other experiments being held in the base. They are making a army of mythical creatures! And craziest thing is, humans are being infused with blood of other creatures that they captured." Everyone was stunned by the news that Max had told them.

*********************************

Her eyes slowly opened and she sat up, then locked her fingers together and stretched as hard as she could. She came to a realization that she was on a bed and was in an unfamiliar bedroom; an antique furniture and a black looking sword were displayed on the wall. There was a black aura surrounding the sword and it make her shiver all of the sudden. What the hell is that?

The last thing she remembered was being dragged to a place by her uncle, and there was an old man standing at the corner of that place. She felt like something had struck her head and it hurt when she tried to remember what happen.

"Lace," she said under her breath. She stepped down from the bed and noticed that she was wearing a long black leather coat; it was confirmed that the coat

was not her size and she could feel that she was not wearing anything inside. She decided that the coat was just what she needed!

She walked out slowly and stopped outside of the room. Yup! Definitely not a place that I know!

She was about to turn back to the room when she overheard people chattering somewhere from her right. Slowly she walked to where the chattering came from. She soon find herself in a dining room and was immediately the subject of attention of a group of strangers.

She stared back to the strangers one by one, then fixed her eyes on a familiar black haired guy who was wearing a necklace that she'd seen before. She couldn't help realizing that it was the same necklace she had given to a boy when she was a kid.

She smiled widely and, with a happy tone, she shouted, "lace!"

*******

Hi guys!!!! This is an edited one!!!
Enjoy! !!

Plese vote!
Please comment!
And follow me!!^^