o n e

-KNJ / 10:35 am
NASEOUM CITY
[CRIME AND FRAUD CONTROL DEPARTMENT!]

the work pressure had seemed to increase these past few days and the inspector-in-charge was clearly losing his cool.

not that he was hot headed but the continued spilling of acidic rain and the raucous of the journalists outside the station was just too much to bear.

groaning with annoyance, namjoon sidled deep inside the crime and fraud control department, passing solemn nods and greetings to his fellow workers, who looked no worse than him.

as namjoon stepped before the glass door which was adorned with a golden plate bearing his full name and degree. pushing open the door with one hand, he was greeted yet again by the familiar stench of papers, instant coffee and broken hearts.

a sobbing, light haired male was crouching on one of the plastic chairs on the other side of the inspector's seat. a simple white shirt and dark washed jeans completed the victim's look.

sitting on the large leather seat which creaked protests under his weight, the male was still crying uncontrollably. translucent tears slithered down his large tan hands behind which his face was still hidden, waves of sunlit hair unkempt. under the bright fluorescent light of the cramped office, the restless male looked like a pathetic monster. hiding his face behind the penetrating gaze of society, scared of showing his weakness but trying his level best to place his emotions in order, nevertheless failing to do so continuously. the man was fighting with himself.

a two year psychology course often comes in handy. 

placing his clasped hands on the table, namjoon eyed the male in front, whose muffled sobs stretched every corner of the room.

"mr. jung?" i don't think crying will do you any good. if you kindly tell us what happened that night.." 

yes. namjoon was blunt like that.

mr. jung slowly unfolded himself from his sorrows and inner battles, as he gazed at the tired inspector, brown eyes glossy with tears and red rims encircling his orbs.

"i-i am so sorry. of course, inspector. i w-will provide as much information as i can" the male said, facing namjoon with that same hollow gaze with hints of helplessness sprinkled on top.

"very well, then."

the inspector pulled open his drawer, filled with stray bullets and spare guns and of course a battered and old voice recorder lay glinting in its glory with the words "toshiba" printed across its body.

placing it on the table, namjoon pressed the play button and slid the device towards the crouching male, a weak, scratching sound trailed behind.

"inspector kim namjoon. time ten minutes to eleven in the morning. case number eighty five. full name,please."

"jung hoseok" came a shaky reply. 

"so tell us about yourself, hoseok"

the male eyed the recorder and gulped before proceeding.

"age twenty seven. i work part time as a florist in the local flower shop. a final year student of dance major in naseoum university. a-arin used to study with me. same year. we dated from high school itself. her and i used to participate in underground dancing competitions."

"okay. so before miss arin's death had she been acting unusual or going somewhere alone. anything of that sort?" 

namjoon leaned against the chair, eyebrows furrowed deep in concentration.

"no. she was alright. nothing out of the ordinary." 

namjoon nodded, exhaling heavily. 

"sources confirmed that miss arin was living in with you? so where were you the night she died?"

the inspector watched as hoseok's cheeks flushed a livid red as he squirmed in his seat, eyes cast down. guilt.

namjoon knew that all too well.

"a-actually. we were supposed to attend this one party hosted by one of our high school friends. frat party of a sort. b-but arin didn't like attending those, claimed that she felt uncomfortable. hence i went alone and.."

the male broke down again, tears streaming down his face on full display. guilt was eating him out.

tosser, namjoon thought.

leaving his girlfriend alone in an apartment and attending some stupid frat party, maybe even had two or three fucks with that drunk ass.

namjoon was no einstein when it came to love and relationships. but he understood human emotions well and he couldn't help but imagine the amount of despair arin went through seeing her six year boyfriend attend some party only to leave her in the clutches of some psychopath. 

namjoon switched off the recorder, before standing up from his seat.

"you can go now, hoseok. we will contact you soon if we need your help. stay safe."

the sunlit haired male gave a weak bow before exiting the office, closing the glass door with a soft snap.

shoving his hands in his pocket, the inspector stood before the window, waiting for the autopsy report.

...

[author]

i know i said that i was going on a hiatus but i got some spare time and hence thought of updating for ya'll.

hope you liked this chapter.

do vote and comment.

cassandra.