Depression/Ocean

This song is one I think relates and sounds good to listen to when reading this short story, you obviously don't have to do so but it enhances the experience.

     Depression nowadays seems simple to so many people but it's not. Depression is best familiarized with the ocean to me recently. The longer I live the more I agree with my view of this. At least in my personal experience it is...the ocean when noticed will be calm at first and hardly noticed, the waves will come and go without a thought. But the longer it stays around the more the salty water seems to seep into ones thoughts and corrupt the calmness of the sand. The sharks, the massive fish, the cold, the darkness, and the mass of unknown. The feelings of panic, insecurity, lack of reasoning, lack of feelings, the want to sleep, the want to feel, the want to love, the want to just return to the sand... The want to never wake up from sleep in fear of re-awakening to the drowning and suffocation... The ocean is terrifying and full of confusion. The biggest mystery is why even the best people never seem to breach the surface. The good people that do eventually breach the surface only come up for air a few minutes at a time only to come face to face with a copy of themselves in front of them. It smiles, only for a moment, then lets out a sigh. The good nod as they accept their fate, right before their copy's smiles fades and they again push the good underwater to continue drowning. The ocean is a vicious cycle, but it will always exist, so we normalize it as something that isn't as scary. Everyone sees the nice pictures, the calm waves, the sunsets and the small well known creatures like turtles but nobody wants to see what's truly below the surface. Nobody wants the unknown, so we don't acknowledge the ocean, and we all hope it will be better soon...