Crash!: The Leandra Duncan Short

This is my first story on here so I know it's not very good anyway. No mean comments please. I would greatly appreciate that.

Goosebumps began to form all around my arms. Then came the burning sensation throughout my cheeks. As the slow and steady beat of the ballad progressed, the beat of my heart followed. My feet on the polished hardwood floor, moving as graceful as a gazelle, prancing throughout the woods. After a grand jete, my three spins were next in the routine. But as I started the next turn, the world around me began to slow down—almost as if I were in a dramatic scene from a Lifetime movie. My life was beginning to slow down before me.

The volume of the blaring sirens increased as I gradually opened my eyes, gaining my consciousness back. “What happened,” I managed to get out, barely audible.

* * * *

“Alyssa please,” plead Leandra. “Just come out tonight. You won't regret it one bit.” Since the start of last week, she's been badgering me about going out to this night club I've never heard of with her and a few friends. She's known me since the age of five. She knows very well that the only dancing I do is in a studio with mirrors surrounding me.

“For the last time, Leandra,” I started, “no.” With the roll of her eyes, I could tell she grew really impatient with me. “Oh come on. It's our last year together before we go off to college.” She had a point there. Suddenly, my mind changed. Ah what the heck. “Alright, fine.” It was 9:00.

* * * *

Midnight soon hit. “No more drinks, Lee.” Leandra had had herself one too many drinks. While trying my hardest to pick her rag-like physique up off the bar floor, I had thought about how much of a bad idea I knew this night was going to be once I had seen the fake identification cards on the dresser. Alyssa Jones and Leandra Duncan were no more because tonight we were Aisha Smith, 23, and Vanessa Grey, 22.

Her bloodshot eyes looked up at me. She had said something, but I couldn't make out what it was with her slurred language. I finally had gotten her off the floor and threw her left arm over my shoulders. I hurried with her in the direction of the exit.

With one arm lugging a 130-pound girl and the other constantly pulling down my short dress, I staggered down the block in my 3-inch pumps. The numerous cracks in the ground were not ameliorating the situation.

Finally approaching the car, I unlocked it and gently placed Leandra inside the passenger seat and buckled her in. “Lee!” She started to pull on my long hair as I tried to back out of the doorway, “Let go, right now.” Then she started to respond. Her speech pattern consisted of half her words making her sound like she was speaking in tongues and hiccups in between every few words.

With the key put into the ignition, I drove off as soon as possible. My little white Volvo Volkswagen has been with me since I first got my license at 16. It's not the best moving car out there, but hey, at least it actually moves.

Leandra's drunken self had gotten worse after every light. She started putting her hands over my face and eyes, making it impossible to see the road. “I hiccup like your hiccup face,” She started again. She was beginning to irritate the hell out of me. I should have just put her in the backseat, I thought to myself, rolling my eyes in annoyance. Or better yet...the trunk. Suddenly, the sound of a truck horn was sneaking up on me, its volume raising at every second I approached it. “Whoa!” Swerve. Screech! The volume, now decreasing, was behind me. I was so lost in my thoughts that my life had suddenly flashed before my eyes. “That was super close,” I managed to get out, with an obvious mix of fear and relief in my voice. I looked over at Lee. All she could do was laugh hysterically. Not surprising—she was drunk. Why did I have to be here and not in my bedroom, dancing my heart out?

I looked up and hadn't realized that I was driving on the wrong side of the road. I must have been out of it too. But before I could do anything about it—CRASH!