Untitled Part 1

You flinched awake from a dreamless sleep. Drowsiness plagued your eyelids, beckoning them to shut for just one more hour.

You slowly brought your hand to rub at your eyes, trying to wake them up. A yawn escaped your dried mouth. 

Smacking your lips you turned your head slowly, getting a mental image of your room in the dark. It looked normal enough. With your drawing desk sitting in one corner of your room facing the wall and your writing desk opposite near the window.

The shades were drawn and the curtains closed, preventing the porch light from getting into your room. You didn’t know what woke you up, everything seemed to be ok. That’s when your gaze landed on your half- way opened door.

That was weird…you could have sworn you closed the door when you went to sleep. An indescribable feeling settled in your stomach as you swung your legs over the edge of your bed. Your feet landed softly on your carpeted floor.

Your legs felt like they were injected with lead. They were stiff from being curled up when you slept. Just yesterday you won first place in a sprinting race at your track meet. But sometimes a victory comes at a cost as you soon found out you pulled a calf muscle. It hurts when you bend your leg too much or when you try to stand on your toes, something you realized you did quite often.

You think it was because you didn’t stretch enough before your race. Oh, well. All’s well that ends well you guessed.

You reached the door and felt a draft come from the hallway. Cautiously you peeked around the corner to be met with darkness.

The child in you shifted uncomfortably at the total lack of light. The hallway was bathed in creepiness, along with its distant cousin; Eeriness.

Everything looked so unnatural in the light of the night, giving off a completely different vibe.

You nervously pulled your head back into your room, softly closing the door as if not to disturb whatever inhabited the hall when the sun went down.

You slowly backed up from the door and crawled into bed, pulling the covers up to your chin. Your eyes were wide open searching for something that was most likely not even there.

Sometimes you hated the irrational part of your brain.

You stayed there not even moving a muscle mulling it over in your head if you should go check on your mother, then realized she wasn’t even home.

She was at a business meeting in New York over the weekend, leaving you home alone. Of course she wasn’t comfortable with leaving you alone for so long.

She worried about meals and a ride to school on Monday morning. You reasoned with her and said you were a fifteen year old girl and could take care of yourself for a few days. After a while she agreed and left, but not without informing the neighbors that you were home alone and to watch over the house while she was gone, and leaving one hundred dollars on the kitchen counter.

Your heart sank into your stomach when you realized that meant no one was home to open your door. You started to panic. Fear swelled up in your body, seizing control of your nerves.

Someone broke in, was your first erratic thought. You quickly gave that up when you figured the alarm would have gone off and the cops would have been there already.

You tried to believe that your neighbors decided to have a late night stroll to your house to check up on you. Did they even have a key?

You didn’t want to explore that possibility right now.

You felt like you were going to cry. Tears were surfacing and threatening to spill. Never have you ever felt so terrified. There were a number of things that could have opened your door.