oneshot

Tomoe wasn’t sure exactly how long she’d been walking. It felt like months, but it couldn’t have been more than a few days. She was tired, her legs ached, her stomach hurt from the gathered hunger. All she saw was trees. Trees, trees, trees! She never wanted to see another tree again in her life!

But still, she continued walking. After all, she’d promised Yuma she’d return to the school and reassure her she was okay. “This forest has to end somewhere,” she continued to tell herself. Just spending time in it felt as though her sanity was being stripped away by the hour.

But she had to reassure Yuma she was okay. She couldn’t let Yuma suffer.

Eventually, she pushed through the branches of a damp oak tree, and stopped. There it was. She’d finally reached the school.

Hot tears dripped down her face as she climbed onto the walkway to the second wing. Tomoe wasn’t sure how much of her sanity she had retained throughout the whole ordeal, but she was sure just seeing Yuma - or any familiar face at all - would ground her again.

Wandering down the rotting hall of the main building where she’d told Yuma to stay, she called out her name. Hearing it echo off the walls without a response was forming a knot of fear in her stomach. Yuma was okay, surely…?

Tomoe put on her usual face - the happy, cheerful, energetic Tomoe everyone at Misato Municipal Brotherhood High knew and loved. She couldn’t let herself get down. It worked, at least until she turned the corner and saw her.

She could tell right away it was her. She was still wearing that white beaded necklace she’d bought when she’d travelled in England. She was still wearing that purple hairclip Tomoe had bought for her 14th birthday. She still retained those cute little freckles along the bridge of her nose. But something was very clearly off. Maybe it was the scissors stabbed in the back of her neck, or the dried blood all over her uniform.

Tomoe screamed. She’d never screamed like that in all her life. The sound of her own voice terrified her. There was nothing she could do for her. Yuma was long dead.

Something snapped. She wasn’t sure what, but she couldn’t think straight. She dug out the scissors lodged in her neck and began to stab her repeatedly. She never wanted to take out her frustrations on the one she loved, but Tomoe Mizuki, the Tomoe Mizuki everyone knew, was long gone.

She’d lost it. She stabbed the sharp item into her neck, again and again, mincing away anything left of her neck. Her head simply fell off.

She took her head.

Tomoe took Yuma’s head, and held it close. Laughing maniacally, she took off into the forest again, taking the head of her loved one with her. They disappeared into the darkness, never to be seen again.

--------------------------------------------------

idk what even inspired this, probably that i've already realized how bad my writing is and dont care at all anymore