A Team

"So yeah" I dumbly finished my little speech to my parents. I looked at them hopefully as we sat at the dinner table.

"It sounds lovely darling, it truly does. But do you really want to go away for the whole summer?" My Mother questioned.

I replied with a definite nod, my mouth stuffed with fried rice. Dad was flicking through the information sheets I had printed off the website sceptically.

"How much does this course cost" He asked.

I winced as I handed him the cost sheet. I noticed as his eyebrows raised at the prices listed.

"I would definitely help pay it off. I have money saved up from working at the barn and giving lessons to the kids" I pleaded with him.

"But honey, you don't have your own horse to take, and who will look after Rain?" Mum asked.

I sighed as I explained that you were allowed to use the horses there and don't need your own. Rain however, I was worried about. I knew Emma would take care of her, but I hated leaving her for so long. It also meant my training with her would be put behind for the competitions throughout the year.

"We can discuss this later, but I don't know" Dad announced.

~

The school week passed by in a blur of end - of - year parties, goodbyes and promises to catch up in the holidays. Before I knew it, it was finally Saturday, and I could once again spend the whole day at the barn, my sanctuary.

"Hello Rain baby, how are you today?" I cooed to her.

"How on earth do you manage to get so much dirt on one horse" I exclaimed as I looked at her coat covered in mud and dust. Shaking my head I clipped her lead rope on and led her back to the stables. Clipping her into the cross ties, I started using the curry comb to remove the dirt from her coat, then the soft brush to sweep it off. As I idly brushed, Emma came around the corner leading PJ and clipped him into the cross ties adjacent to me.

"Apparently we are just doing flatworm today, going back to the basics and getting them right" She said as PJ started to fall asleep. Typical.

I nodded, and we launched into general horsey orientated conversation.

"Hey, isn't that your parents?" She stated, cutting me off.

I turned around sceptically, and sure enough my parents stood awkwardly in the stables, looking lost. Seeing my parents in a stable was like seeing a brand new Louis Vuitton couch in a junkyard. It just didn't fit.

I suppressed a laugh as they jumped out of the way of the stable hand leading a frisky stallion past them.

Avert proceeded to come out of his office and greet them.

"Ok, this is weird" I said to Emma. She nodded in agreement. Securing our horses, we walked over together towards the talking adults. Avery turned to me with a grin plastered on his face. My parents, like him, were also smiling.

“So, um, what’s going on?” I asked, growing more suspicious by the minute.

“What’s going on Ally, is that your father and I had a little talk, and we have agreed to allow you to go to the summer camp” My mother announced proudly.

Emma turned to me grinning, and I could only stare in shock at my parents, before unfreezing myself and throwing my arms around them both.

“Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!” I squealed with excitement, before turning to Emma and giving her a death squeeze hug as well.

“There’s another thing you need to know as well” Avery stated, his face turning deadly serious and his voice switching to no nonsense tone.

‘Is Rain sick? Or something even more serious? Maybe going to summer camp isn’t the best idea if Rain is sick. I’ll refuse to go; I need to be here for Rain.’ A million thoughts whizzed through my head at dizzying speed.

“We all know how close you and Rain are, and we don’t think it would be fair of you to leave her here alone.” He continued.

I nodded, totally agreeing with him. A feeling of guilt that I was leaving Rain here started to creep through my consciousness.

“We need someone like you who is able to train her into the competing champion we know she is. Ally, Rain is now your horse.”

I could only stare at him flabbergasted. Rain is my horse? I thought. Suddenly, everything clicked and to my surprise tears of happiness started to fall from my eyes.  I once again pulled everyone into a bear hug, barely able to contain my excitement.

Avery then looked at Emma and said “Emma, this program also offers short term intensive programs, so I talked to your parents and you will be taking part in a two week course with Ally.”

“Emma, that is so amazing!” I exclaimed, initiating a frenzy of excited dances.

Running back to Rain I threw my arms around her neck and whispered to her “now we are truly an unstoppable team”

She snorted as if to say “We always were” and swung her huge neck around my back.

AN: I know just about every single author of every single book says this, but it would be awesome if you could like, vote and comment!