Chapter One

It was a beautiful afternoon in the neighbourhood, the sun was making a beautiful sunset that couples were enjoying. It was one of those surprising times when England had perfect weather that all the people and animals enjoyed, well all animals except for a very special kitten. This kitten was currently sitting outside a high class dance studio watching the last ballet class of the day, it was one of the only things that gave this growing queen any happiness in her life. "Imagine one day I could be like those little humans, dancing my heart out, hearing that applause and finding a place where I belong" her daydreaming was out on hold as a peke caught her scent and started chasing her away from her happy place.

The dog chased her around and tried as she might her lack of food and sleep made her body more vulnerable and the dog was catching up to her, spying a large garbage can she used her leftover strength to jump up and she saw the can didn't have a lid and so she resigned to falling inside the gross place and simply held herself close as the dog kept scratching and hitting her hiding place.

It felt like hours before the dog finally gave up and left her, she pulled herself up to sit on the edge of the can and saw that night had arrived and she gazed up at the moon, it was nights when it was full she could almost swear at times she saw the moon shine bright and she instantly felt like she was missing something. Sighing to herself she jumps down and looks at her surroundings "he sure did chase me a long way I don't believe I've ever been here before" she mused walking further up past the shops that looked to be closed, the few houses and flats that were around, past a very fancy fountain but before she could let her curiosity see more she heard voices so she hides in a dark alley, just far enough to not be seen which looking at her black fur isn't hard. "Ohhhhh I'm so excited girls our first time at the Jellicle ball" a white tortoiseshell cat exclaimed bouncing along being followed by a scarlet tortoiseshell cat and a smaller red tabby cross cat. "Etcetera wait till we see Tugger before you blow out my eardrums" the red tortoiseshell said to 'Etcetera' "Sorry Electra but I'm just so happy finally they see us as more than just kittens" she said making Electra roll her eyes. "We're still kittens Cettie, we aren't full queens like mom or auntie" the smallest said smiling "yeah but we're kittens who get to go to the Jellicle ball" their voices grew distant as they walk past the alley.

"Jellicle ball?" The kitten asked coming out of her hiding spot, she'd never heard of a Jellicle ball before, she doesn't even know what a Jellicle is. She didn't know what got into her but suddenly her curiosity took over and she started to follow the group of female kittens to where their ball was being held. She had to keep pausing to hide as the youngest kept looking back and each time she was worried that she would be spotted. The girls make it to the entrance of a junkyard, why would a ball that sounds so grand be held in a junkyard, the kitten questioned watching Etcetera and then Electra go in, the last girl once again stayed back but this time it almost looked like she was trying to find someone "Jemima!" A tall grey tabby Tom cat came out from the junkyard and over to Jemima "Why aren't you inside?" He asked "sorry dad I thought I felt someone around here" Jemima told him which he moves in front of her and scans around. Good thing she hid herself by the bin again, he sees nothing and turns back "maybe they're gone now?" He suggests but Jemima's shrugs don't make him feel better "well no matter go inside to your mother we are almost ready for the ball" he tells her ushering her in "is Plato there?" "Yes he and Tugger have been here since this morning" their conversation ended as they went inside the junkyard. Once she was sure they wouldn't come out the kitten slowly came out of her hiding place, "sounds like there are a lot of cats here, maybe they will be too busy and won't see me" she muses climbing the wall of the junkyard and setting herself on top of it watching the cats in the yard.

She noticed a beautiful red queen padding in front of a group of kittens that were barely a week old, she couldn't hear them from her spot and wondered why it looks like they were excluded from the group. After a minute the queen was called away but before she left she nuzzled all of the kittens making them purr, it left a weird feeling in the black kitten watching from afar, she had grown up on the streets, she was sure she had a family at one point but for some reason she ended up living on the streets, having to fend for herself, run from dogs and feral cats and not having a mother and father's warm embrace to run into when she feels like she might die, looking back at the group she notices that it was darker than before and the group of nine kittens sitting quietly in their spots and the other older cats were nowhere to be seen and then before she could say anything she thought she heard a piano being softly played.