The Queen and the Captain ~ Historia & Levi

Levi was a man of few words, his disposition cold and reserved, his mind unable to- well, Levi was just unable. No one knew of his hobbies (if he had any), not of his family let alone marital status or even his age, so when a girl of golden hair desired to pick apart this unable man he felt himself crumble.

Y'see, there was an atmosphere of intimidation that melted the determination of his comrades surrounding the freezing captain. It was only his initial squad that found safety in the eye of the storm but after they drifted into its hungry winds and savage waves; Levi supposed being a concoction of personified terrestrial rain, horrid winds and biting cold would be his curse.

That was until a ray of sun broke through the clouds, it's presence a foreign entity that bled through and lit the dark world with only a singular, string of gold.

She smelt of grass, lye soap, leather, with subtle traces of rose and it followed her tiny form like it didn't want to let go, like a fine, silk ribbon. The aroma infested each man's senses, most scouts hadn't seen a gentle, homely woman in years, it was inevitable she would draw attention. The captain would be a fool not to admit that he too fell into the intoxication of Krista Lenz, or more so Historia Reiss.

Maybe it was the fact she was one of few blonde's in the regiment, or that her eyes shone like those summer days most never saw again, maybe it was the fact she was one of the few (and emphasise on few) people that were shorter than Humanity's Strongest. She reminded Levi of the sky he desired to see growing up: clean, free, beautiful.

If it weren't for Ymir, he knew Historia would've been easy pickings. He wasn't going to sugar coat it. The fact he had at least fifty sexual assault reports on his desk by the end of the week said more than he needed to say. After he went through those he never looked at some of his subordinates the same, it was worse when Erwin let them off.

"Our numbers are dwindling by the expedition. Keeping them in the Regiment is punishment enough"

Levi knew that was bullsh*t, completely aware Commander Smith kept them in for his own selfish gain. But it was on one night that he truly wanted to feed those creeps to the Titans.

She was crying, her tears forging a river through his ears that choked his thoughts with rapids of water. The foam and smell of earth pierced his senses along with the sudden splash and spray of cold liquid lapped up by the evening wind. She was the blue ribbon of water that travelled between the walls and Levi was the storm that broke apart that controlled animal, maybe...

"C-Captain?" She stuttered with a choked voice as her hands quickly brushed through her sunlight locks.

"What are you doing, Cadet?" Levi asked, not meaning to be so harsh. He didn't know how to deal with crying women, it was difficult (difficult being an understatement).

"I'm sorry Sir, I just...-" she ground the heel of her hand into her eye, "- I just needed some space"

Unlike what Historia -or Krista- expected, Levi undid his cravat and held it out to his subordinate, "Crying is for children, dry your eyes".

"Sir?",

"Weakness isn't permitted in the Corp", she immediately took the white fabric with trembling hands worked hard with training.

Despite the initial sneer at seeing his cravat grow dirty with her tears, it assured the captain to see her eyes drying and that he wasn't completely useless around the opposite sex. By his age, most of his comrades were dead leaving him with children and young boys thinking they were men; women his age were a luxury to meet and he doubted his previous status of Underground street rat did him any favours. The Corp was the only place he could escape the prejudice.