Chapter 10

Collin's POV

I grinned, cleaning off my hands of all the flour.

"Is there anything else I can do to help?" I asked the bakery owner.

She smiled at me. "You're an absolute sweetheart. But you've done more than enough for today. I'll go get your payment." She said, walking into the back, before I could protest. Leaving me alone with the only other worker, a well built elf. He had those same weird tattoos I'd noticed on the jester at the palace.

"Do you like working here?" I asked him, and he looked at me suspiciously.

"No." He answered. I frowned.

"Then why do you? Is for the pay?" I looked at him curiously.

He looks strong enough to get a job in construction or something, so why does he work at a bakery if he doesn't like it?

"I don't get paid. I'm a slave." He said, pointing at the tattoos. I froze.

"They keep slaves here?" I whispered and he raised an eyebrow at me.

"Uh Yeah d-... wait are you from one of the other kingdoms?" He asked me looking me over.

I nodded. "Yeah, yeah I'm from MoonRidge." I answered.

"Well, here all elves are slaves, except illegal ones. We 'aren't actual people' and have no rights." I tensed as he said that.

"A-all elves?" I stammered. He nodded looking me over.

"What? You got some elven friends?" He asked me, and I hesitantly nodded.

"Y-Yeah, you could say that..." I trailed off, thinking.

No wonder Austin loathes this place. And the queen.

Wait what would the queen do if she found out Austin is half elf?

What would she do to Seek if she found out he was an elf?

"Here's your pay! Oh dear, you've gone quite pale. Is everything ok?" She asked me, reaching up to touch my cheek.

"Yeah. Yeah. I'm okay. I have to go." I said, rushing out of the building.

"Wait! You forg-" She started, but I didn't hear the rest.

I rushed back into our section of the palace.

"Seek?" I said, pushing the door to his room open. However, the room was unfortunately empty of any life forms.

I need to find him. Why the hell did I leave him alone? I'm a terrible brother.

I closed my eyes thinking of where he could be.

Throne room, nope. Library? Maybe.

Wait. Austin said there was a garden. He'll probably be there.

I turned around, rushing out of the room.

As I arrived in the throne room however, I realized I had no idea which way the garden was.

Damn it.

"Ok... ok. I'll just wander till I find the garden I guess." I mumbled.

"You could. Or you could ask for help." I jumped at the voice. Spinning around I came face to face with a woman, around my age, with pink hair.

Yuki Duals, cousin of the princes.

"I'm Yuki Duals, th-"

"Cousin of the twin princes. I know." I interrupted her and she paused, looking at me.