the first time

I shift the last box inside, dropping it onto the kitchen counter with a sigh. My gaze skims the room, passing over the blank white walls and distinct lack of furniture to focus on the boxes piled across the floor.

Rivers of light trickle through the windows and paint them with stripes of golden brown. I smile, enjoying the sun playing over my skin as I walk to the window.

The view isn't prizewinning; a tired library stands opposite the apartment block, and the flat is a little on the small side, but it's mine. All mine.

Knocking echoes through the flat. I turn to glare at the door; I've only been here five minutes.

With a roll of my eyes, I yank the slightly sticky door open, only to jump back in surprise.

A tall, well-built man stands in front of me. His dark hair is pulled into a bun, with a few careless strands escaping. Tattoos are scrawled along his arms, chasing beneath the loose sleeves of his jumper. 

I trace the lines of his veins, following them to his hands, and the cake tin he's holding. His fingers are long, slim; they remind me of a pianist's hands, and his index finger is adorned with a single silver band. My eyes widen slightly.

I glance up at his face, examining his furrowed eyebrows and clenched jaw. Swallowing, my eyes drift to meet his steady gaze.

"Can I help you?" I squeak, tangling my fingers in my shirt.

He grunts, lifting the cake tin in his hands. I open my mouth to speak, but am interrupted by a small girl poking her head around his leg, a shy smile curling across her face.

Immediately, my face brightens, and I crouch down to talk to her. She fiddles with the hems on the man's jeans, nibbling gently on her thumb.

"And who are you?" I ask her, watching her expression carefully.

"I'm Ady," she giggles nervously, glancing up at the man beside her. His face softens, his lips tweaking at the edges.

"That's a pretty name," I tell her, admiring the happiness sparking in her bright blue eyes.

"Excuse me?" The man interjects. I straighten, brushing the wrinkles out of my clothes.

"Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Your daughter's adorable," I grin, unaware of the sharp angles returning to his face.

"Right," he mutters, tucking her back behind his leg. "This was for you." He indicates the cake tin, pushing it into my arms.

"Oh, thank you." I chuckle. "That's really sweet of you."

"Don't worry about it," he scowls, picking up Ady and turning to walk off.

"I didn't catch your name--!" I call after him, waving at Ady as she smiles at me over his shoulder. He doesn't respond.

I shrug, pushing the door open with my hip so I don't drop the cake tin. Once inside, I open the tin without hesitation, only to be greeted with the incredible smells of cinnamon and ginger and cocoa.

Cinnamon swirls are stacked in half of the tin, covered in sweet sugar icing. Gingerbread biscuits are piled beside them, some decorated with elegant royal icing, others with a colourful mess. And finally, my favourites; chocolate brownies.

Unable to resist temptation, I take out a brownie, cradling the still warm treat between two fingers as I eat a soft, doughy bite. It melts in my mouth, and I groan at the sinful taste.

This entire tin is going to be finished by tomorrow.