NINE

A month Later.

BREHT'S POV

I returned home tired. It had been a long day. I heard Jhia's footsteps pacing the floor. She had become restless of late. And besides that, till now, she has not told me anything about what happened.

But what ever it had been, it must have broken her. Her eyes said it all. She was broken. She would change the topic every time I would try to ask her how she ended up in my pit trap.

"Am back." I announced as I walked in. She stopped pacing and looked at me.

"Where have you been?" She asked me.

"Since you do not answer any of my questions, why should I answer yours." I asked her.

"Can you explain this?" She said, throwing pictures of Rhianah on the table. The pictures scattered allover the small table and some even fell on the floor.

"Did you go through my stuff? " I asked, anger evident in my eyes.

She stared at me, unwavered. I had to admit many people were intimidated by me, mostly when I was angry. But she was different. She was firm as before and she repeated her question.

"I asked ,what is the meaning of this?" She asked me.

"Look. It is a long story. "I told her.

" I have all the time in the World. " She told me, taking a seat.

I had to tell her the truth. She was dumbfounded. I could not keep it from her forever. She had to know. And I guess this was the right time for her to know everything.

"So you have been seeing each other for three years?" She asked me.

"Yes." I said. "How long has she been married?" I asked her.

"Two years." She told me.

"What is his name?" I asked her.

At the mention of this question, her whole face was contorted and she wore an expression that was close to anger and pain at the same time. It was too hard to understand.

"Maleek Coleman. " She spat the name. I could feel the anger seeping out of her. What was the meaning of that?

I didn't push any harder.

"What do you plan on doing?" She asked me after a long silence.

"Nothing. I let it go. " I told her, looking away.

"Just like that?" She asked me.

I nodded a yes and walked to the kitchen to grab a bite. I was hungry after a long day.

Jhia's POV

I watched him leave. Why didn't I believe him? He was out every day. One would think he had gone to hunt only to come back with no game.

I knew he was up to something. But I knew I did not want to get involved in his scheme. I had plans of my own. And no one would take away my right to earn my revenge.

I was thankful to Breht. He had taught me everything I knew about knives and close combat. Good thing I was discovered by a hunter. He was pretty skilled. I had also discovered that it wasn't coincidence that we met at the foyer of the sea.

He had come looking for me. He was involved with my sister. A knot tied in my pit when I thought of my family. Had they even tried to look for me? I could not know.

Why had Rhianah chosen maleek over Breht. He was an animal. A monster. That's as far as she knew. I could not forget my experience. I always thought about it, it had become my constant night mare. He had ripped me apart. It could never be erased.

Tomorrow night. I had to be ready. I had to rip his throat to pieces. Along with Barry. I knew Breht would not be in the whole day . That gave me enough time to plan my moves well. I knew the house well and I knew where all the surveillance cameras were situated. I could avoid them.

I went to the kitchen and helped myself to a sandwich. I had made them earlier when Breht was away.

" These are nice."he said, raising a sandwich.

"Your welcome." I told him.

He kept on eating, not minding my presence. I poured him a cup of fresh juice.

" I would like to thank you. Thank you for reaching me. And for looking after me. For all this time." I said to him.

"It is nothing." He said, shrugging his shoulders.

I reached out a hand and touched him. This was unusual. He was also shocked by what I had just done.

"I need a favour." I said.

"What is it?" He asked me

"I need some money. I can not use my card. It will be tracked and i will be found. I need to purchase some things tomorrow morning. But when I am back home, I will repay you." I reassured him

"You dont have to. " He said," am just worried about you. Why are you hiding from everyone, even your own sister?" He asked.

" Am not ready to face anyone yet.
There is something I need to do first." I told him.

" Fine." He said.

He fished his wallet out of his pocket and gave me his credit card. I got it from him, thanked him and left him in the kitchen.

BREHT'S POV

I knew Jhia was broken. And I could not judge her. She needed her time and she needed her space. I wanted to give them to her.

I had trusted her with my credit card. I knew I could trust her.

But what was it that she needed? I was still puzzled about it.

Since she had started living with me, she had nightmares that scared her . She always awoke while crying and screaming. Apparently it was about a 'he'. She always screamed for him to stop. She pleaded for him,she asked for mercy. I always woke her up and tried to comfort her. So I knew she was trying to recover from something.

I had my other plans as well. Tomorrow night, I would go to the Coleman mansion. It was about time to get rid of a few weeds. It was my time to get him. And now I was more fueled since I had found out that I was with her even before he was with her.

Tomorrow was perfect. Rhianah had been away for a whole week now and she was not to return soon as she was on the look out for her sister Jhia with their father, Karl.

I had to sleep early. It was a long day tomorrow.

I went to the living room and I found Jhia watching television.

"Tomorrow, when you return from the town, make sure you lock yourself in well. I will be a little late. I may return at day break." I told her.

" Fine." She responded.

I was curious as to why she didn't even ask where I was going. As if she was glad to have me out of her hair.

I turned to leave and she called my name.. I stopped and turned to look at her.

"Don't give up on your love." She told me .

I looked at her and I just shook my head and walked off to bed.

Why was she saying all these things?

Jhia's POV

By the time I woke up,Breht had already left. I looked around. The house was clean. Everything was speck. I walked to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. I was shocked to see that he had made pancakes before leaving.

I ate up and showered. I got a bagpack and started packing a few things.

I went to the knife cabinet only to find three knives missing. They had been there the day before. I was sure of it.

Something clicked in my mind. I went to check for Breht's rifle.

It was gone. Now I knew what he was up to. He wanted to kill Maleek so as to take back Rhianah. He had not given up on her.

But he couldn't kill Maleek. I had to get my revenge. I had to think faster.

I packed extra clothes . I couldn't pack knives because I knew it would lead Breht to jail once his knife was discovered at the crime scene since Rhianah knew his knives. I was sure of that. There could not be lose ends.

I was going to use the knife from their kitchen. It would automatically be a dead end for the cops.

I gave a satisfied smile and closed the door to Breht's house and I walked to the town.