Chapter One

*picture is Al*

I got into the beaten down car and slammed the door shut. My best friend Charlie owned this hunk of crap.

He was sitting behind the steering wheel tapping along to the beat of a song playing on the radio. "Sup' Al."

My real name was Alexis. Everyone calls me Alex though. Charlie has special privileges, being my best friend and all, so he calls me Al.

"Hello Charles, so what are we doing today? Library? Park? Tree?" he thought for a moment, "Tree." he said smiling.

Charlie and I have a secret tree that is in the middle of a wheat field. Every since we were kids, it has been our place to just sit and talk.

Charlie backed out of the driveway and started hurling down the road. Once we got out of town, he rolled down all the windows, and got out a mixtape from his pocket. (this car had no CD player)

It had 'Al' written on it with a purple sharpie. "What's that?" I asked, he smiled at me, "New one I made for you."

I looked at him, confused, "What's on it?" He smirked and put it in, "You'll see."

The first track started to play and I gasped, "NO WAY." I squealed and hugged him without causing him to drive off the road.

It was "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction.

Yeah I know, I'm practically an adult but this song was like one of my guilty pleasures.

He turned up the volume until the whole car was vibrating. We both sang at the top of our lungs, laughing and giggling.

The next song started to play. I screamed happily and instantly started singing along to "Chocolate" the by the 1975.

Charlie new me more than my own mother.

Hell, he new me more than me.

We both sang until our throats were
sore.

Charlie turned down a gravel road that led out into the countryside.

Soon, we were parked in a wheat field, the wind swaying the wheat back in forth.

I started walking, when Charlie scooped me up and started carrying me like baby. I screamed and laughed.

"Charlie!" He laughed and broke into a sprint.

The wheat stung my exposed legs. "Ow! Charlie, slow down!"

He laughed, "We're here ya baby." he put me down under the large shady oak tree.

I crossed my arms and stuck my bottom lip out, "I'm not a baby." he smirked at me, "Oh really?" He circled around me with his hands behind his back. "Well let's try the...TICKLE TEST!"

He tackled me to the ground and attacked me with tickles. I was laughing uncontrollably, hitting and kicking as an attempt to get him off.

"Charlie.....s-stop!"

He laughed and stood up, running to the other side of the tree and sitting down on a root.

I got up and caught my breath. I walked over to where Charlie was sitting and sat next to him. I laid my head down on his lap and looked up at the sky.

Two squirrels scurried across a tree branch, one chasing the other. I smiled and closed my eyes, taking in the tranquility.

Charlie sighed and stared into the distance. "She's been drinking again..." he said quietly.

I looked up at him with a concerned look, "I thought she quit?" He shook his head, "She did. For a while. She started again when she got fired. It scares May. I had to bring her to my grandparents three times this week."

He sighed and stared at the clouds. I stared with him. We shared each other's pain.

I held his hand to my heart, "It will get better. I'm here for you guys."

He smiled, "I know Al. You're always there for me." I smiled, "You're my best friend Charlie, of course I'm always there." I assured him, "Where is she now?" I asked.

He sighed, "At home, dead drunk." I sighed, "We should go get her, clean her up, and the house."

Charlie frowned, "I don't know Al, she can be very unpredictable when she's drunk." I squeezed his hand reassuringly, "Don't worry, she'll remember me."

He sighed and closed his eyes for a minute, "Okay. Let's go."