three

"Minho. That's Minho" Thomas gasped, Emma pulling Thomas back behind the wall. Minho tried to struggle out of the guards grip but they held him tighter. "Emma, what are we going to do? We need to save him" Thomas' voice was frantic as his eyes were wide with panic.

He searched Emma's face, her silence only making him frustrated. Thomas looked to Emma who stared at the guards with that same far away look in her eyes. "Emma!" Thomas rushed, grabbing her shoulders. 

Emma snapped towards him, her eyes alert once again. "You're going to stay here" Emma ordered before rising to her feet. Thomas stood up next to her, immediately objecting.

"Are you crazy? You'll die!" Thomas spoke in a loud whisper, Emma shaking her head in response. She laid a hand on his shoulder, not a glimmer of fear in her eyes. 

"Thomas, trust me. If you have to trust me at any one point, let it be this one" Emma said, staring into his eyes. Thomas didn't know what to say, because she had almost been killed by those same guards. To let her go would be a suicide mission, but something about the look in her eyes told him that he had to let her go. Something about their past told him she was stubborn, and she wasn't going to give in. "Please Thomas stay here. We're running out of time" Emma begged with urgency in her voice.

Thomas bit his tongue, finally nodding yes. Emma squeezed his shoulder, offering a curt nod before taking off towards the guards. Thomas extended his arm to grab Emma's arm, and pull her back to safety, but something inside him said to trust her. So he sunk back to the ground, watching from behind the safety of the wall.

Emma ran quietly along the buildings, going unnoticed until she was close enough to make her move. She was within five feet before she lunged from the shadows, yanking the guards arm which held the knife, away from Minho's throat. "Minho! Run!" Emma yelled, pushing Minho forward while shoving the other three guards back. Minho, terribly confused, did what he was told. He ran forward, looking over his shoulder at the girl who had saved his life. 

Thomas reached out, grabbing Minho's arm as he ran by. Minho gasped, instantly filled with relief when he saw Thomas' face. He pulled Minho into a hug before the two ducked behind the building's protective cover, their attention shifting back to Emma.

Emma yanked the knife out from the guards hand, lifting his arm before jamming the knife to the small space right below his armpit. The guard immediately fell to the ground, still and unmoving. Emma dropped to the ground as another guard swung at her, her leg sweeping the guard's legs out from under it. She got on top of him, holding him down as she jabbed the knife into the same spot, again, the guard was disabled. That was two for two. 

"Who the hell is that?" Minho muttered, Thomas at a loss for words. Just three hours ago Emma couldn't even fight, not to mention kill the guards that they had thought were indestructible. With wide eyes Thomas watched the scene unfold, his mouth hanging open. 

A guard stepped forward, pointing his gun at her. She smirked before kicking her leg up, knocking the gun out of the guards hands before spinning, the knife striking the guard under the arm. The guard dropped to the ground, defeated. Emma turned, looking at the last guard who pointed its gun at her. She quickly threw the knife, striking the guard under the arm, just where she had intended it to hit.

"and how did she learn how to throw a knife like that?" Minho breathed, equally as stunned as Thomas. Just like that, all the guards were dead. Emma ripped the knife out, tucking it in the belt of her pants. Emma went to go grab a gun when the guards began dissolving into the ground. 

"What?" Emma muttered to herself, scrambling to grab another gun before they were gone. She grabbed one, yanking it away before it sunk into the ground. That left her weapon count at two guns and a knife.